How Do I Forward Email Using Contacts

boweasel

New Email
Was trying to help a friend with her gmail account.

The problem in a nutshell: Neither of us can figure out how to use her contacts list when forwarding email. She can bring up the email, click forward, and the body of the email is displayed. She can enter the first letter of a contact and it displays every contact that begins with that letter, and can then select a name and populate the 'To' field. She can continue to add names using this method.

But, when forwarding mail there seems to be no methodology for displaying her full contact list and selecting names. If she clicks on the contact list after clicking forward, she can select multiple names, but doing so seems to wipe out the forwarded message itself, so it appears as if she's composing a new email, not forwarding one.

There's no little box up near the 'To' area that either of us can see that lets her open her contacts without emptying the content of an already composed message.

Hopefully I've explained this satisfactorily. I assumed there was a setting somewhere to handle this, but we cannot find it.

THERESA

Customer Service
I understand your post.

Gmail has changed some things and forwarding emails is one of the features that has changed.

After clicking on "forward", there is a drop down box next to recipients. You will want to select "forward" again. When you start typing in the box after selecting forward the second time, the email addresses should show up to select and the email should not be disappearing (as if you are composing a new message) if you do it this way.

forward1.png

Please let us know if this worked for your friend.

boweasel

New Email
After clicking on "forward", there is a drop down box next to recipients. You will want to select "forward" again. When you start typing in the box after selecting forward the second time, the email addresses should show up to select and the email should not be disappearing (as if you are composing a new message) if you do it this way.

Please let us know if this worked for your friend.
I'll have to get back to you on that since she lives about 10 miles away and is not particularly savvy when it comes to all things computer related...

Maybe we were attempting to forward incorrectly - neither of us saw a box to click on - we had to open the email, and in pretty small print under the email it had a few options that were clickable and were displayed horizontally. I don't remember all the options, but if I recall, the middle one was forward. When we would click on that it wouldn't open any sort of a dropdown as you showed in your attachment - it would just display the email with the cursor in the 'To' box, and the subject populated with with FWD: and then the original topic name.

Is this making any sense?

And BTW, apologies to Ray. I'd PMed him on not seeing my original post. Apparently I cannot PM him back since I'm warned that I can only send one PM in 24 hours. The reason I never saw the post is because I had somehow bookmarked a page about Q mail, not G mail. Don't know how that happened, but since the bookmarked page showed up as Threads in Forum : qmail I never really noticed that it was a q, not a g.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
No problem. :)

Yes, Gmail (the Google mail service) and qmail (the MTA) look alike when typed all lower case.

Don't worry about the PM's, the anti-spam restrictions loosen up as your post count goes up and time passes.

That's just one of many anti-spam mechanisms that have been put in place over the years.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

boweasel

New Email
And yes, this just might be the record for the most 'stickies' I've ever encountered - must be close to 60. I don't think I've ever seen more than about 8 anywhere else.

Hi all,
I stumbled on the answer myself:D.
Just click on the forward button to forward the message, then press F9 button & all your address books show up on the left column, so you can select (dbl click) on any contact and that contact will be in your send to list.

Tim:yay: