How do I change my emailquestions.com Password

Michel Merlin

How do I change my emailquestions.com PWD?

I just registered on emailquestions.com (Mon 25 May 2015 09:30 GMT). As I always do (following bad experience on some bad designed sites), I entered a temporary PWD (********) just for the registering process, and expected to change it to a true secure PWD once registered. But emailquestions.com registered me at once without asking for an email confirmation, and offers no way of changing my PWD! So I am currently with my temporary PWD, which is way too unsafe. How do I change it? Please help! TIA,

Versailles, Mon 25 May 2015 11:47:40 +0200

Last edited by a moderator:

Michel Merlin

I finally found the "Password" item in my profile in the due place. I don't know why I didn't see it 1st time. It remains this profile is unclear: it got filled with plenty personal info that I did NOT provide, e.g. my avatar. I assume the site grabbed them from another account, in the Microsoft galaxy or elsewhere, and does NOT offer me to change them. This is somewhat uncomfortable. For instance, the new PWD that I just entered here, does it now substitute to the others I had on some other sites? If yes, this would be a serious security flaw: someone could register using my name, then change all the other accounts having the same name of mine (Michel Merlin).

Versailles, Mon 25 May 2015 13:08:15 +0200

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Michel,

I'm attaching a screen shot for anyone else who registers and might search for this question.

To change your password click your username in the top right, then click password:

Email Questions Change Password.jpg

I removed your default password from the first post to help protect accounts you might have elsewhere.

Avatars can come from a few sources. It depends on if you register using a social account such as Facebook or have an avatar associated with your email address in the Gravatar service.

The avatars and other account settings open up the more you use the site. They start locked down to help prevent abuse and spammers.

The password you used when registering on Email Questions does not get shared or pushed to any other web sites.

I hope that helps to explain where the info came from. If there is something you need help with changing now please let me know and I'll take care of it.

Last edited:

Michel Merlin

Thanks popowich for your timely reply. However:
  1. of course I did NOT write my temp password in my messsage ;) ! I had just written a development ("PassWorD") of the "PWD" abbreviation I had used. Sure this was ambiguous (I am sorry) so you are welcome to have removed it.
  2. of course I know the habit of sites to fetch the avatars available for a new user. However they usually PROPOSE to use it. This is the 1st time I see a site that IMPOSES it as avatar WITHOUT THE USER'S PERMISSION; even worse, this site does NOT offer a way to change it! Of course such behavior would never happen unless with a determined will to break the basic assumptions of civilized life: it's up to the user to choose the avatar representing him, NOT to anyone else. If ever he chooses to lie about himself (which of course I never do), it is HIS responsibility, NOT yours. By imposing this you are just helping the wrongdoers.
  3. "The password you used when registering on Email Questions does not get shared or pushed to any other web sites". Thanks to have clarified this; given the previous, that also had got dubious.
Versailles, Mon 25 May 2015 16:12:40 +0200

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Michel,

I'm more than happy to provide the reasoning for locking profile edits until a member is established.

Sometimes a spammer account will register and have a web site URL and/or phone number in their avatar.

In that case the account can quickly be identified and banned.

Disallowing profile edits until an account is established prevents a spammer from creating an account and then coming back a few weeks later to create a spam profile.

I'm always more than happy to help with any reasonable requests such as yours from new members. Would you like for me to delete your avatar?

I agree with your point that the sign up process should use a check box that asks a new member if they want their gravatar imported. I submitted a feature request to the developers of the software this site uses (XenForo).

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Michel Merlin

First I am happy with what you DID so I don't request or wish any change. My current avatar, for instance, is quite correct, it is a photo of mine recent enough.

What I stressed is that the profile is the responsibility of its owner; all rights to set or change it should be granted to him, totally and with no delay or restraint at all; and no rights at all should be left to anyone else. When a site limits the user's power onto HIS identity, that site helps others' power to falsify the information, here or elsewhere. So, when a site IMPOSES to an user an avatar FOR HIMSELF, or when a site restrains THE USER's power to change HIS identity, this is an efficient and powerful help to falsifiers, of course conscious (none can be ignoring this is wrong while doing it), no matter the persons doing it are on their own or forced by an external superior force.

Versailles, Mon 25 May 2015 16:53:00 +0200

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Michel,

I disagree that mechanisms for preventing abuse helps others' power to falsify information. It limits their power.

I agree that you should have the option and be prompted if you want the site to search for your gravatar when registering, and I'm working to make that a registration option.

Many sites use the gravtar feature for importing avatars and maybe other information about an email address.

If you want more control over your avatar I recommend that you delete your avatar from the gravatar service.

Michel Merlin

By writing "I disagree that mechanisms for preventing abuse helps others' power to falsify information" you are stating that if somehow MY information is falsified (e.g. when a site WITHOUT MY PERMISSION puts a WRONG photo as MY avatar), MY correcting it would be "abuse". So, you are proving this time that you are, consciously, helping wrongdoers against honest people, helping falseness against truth. I am not surprised you act like this - and I am not surprised of the support you will obviously receive.
Versailles, Mon 25 May 2015 17:32:10 +0200

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Michel.

It's not hard to use other established profiles, such as Facebook or a LinkedIn connection, to help verify the identity of someone who needs support or prove they own an identity.

Myself and the moderator team are here to help if you have a question about your account.

From the time stamps in your posts you can see that questions are answered quickly and it's easy to get assistance.

No where was it stated that taking down or obfuscating a fake profile is considered abuse.

If you have not noticed, I am approving all of your questions and I'm happy to, and even encourage, discussions about privacy and security.

I do not appreciate the implication that our members might not receive good support because we have mechanisms that help to prevent forum spam.

May I ask what email topic or question brought you to the forums?

:thanks: