How can I make Yahoo Mail my default email program?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

According to Yahoo Help the program that allows you to select Yahoo! Mail as the default email application for your PC is included as part of Yahoo! Toolbar version 7.2 and up for Internet Explorer (Firefox users: click here). If you don't have Yahoo! Toolbar v.7.2 or later for Internet Explorer installed, you’ll need to download yahoo toolbar before proceeding with these instructions.

Here’s how to set your PC to open Yahoo! Mail when you click an email link on a web page.
  • From the “Start” pop-up menu in the lower left corner of your desktop, select “Settings” > “Control Panel”.
  • In the Control Panel, select “Internet Options”. This opens the “Internet Properties” window.
  • Click the “Programs” tab along the top.
  • Click the “E-mail” pull-down menu, and select Yahoo! Mail.
  • Click OK. Done!
Note: Yahoo! Toolbar v.7.2 and above for Internet Explorer (not Firefox) is the download that adds Yahoo! Mail to your PC's list of email programs to choose from. But after you've chosen Yahoo! Mail as your PC's default email application, Yahoo! Mail will open when you click an email link in any browser.

In the new Yahoo Mail you can click Options in the top right of your inbox and select Set Y! Mail as default mail
Yahoo Mail Default Mail Program.JPG

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Update 4/5/2012 :

These days many web browsers will let you set Yahoo Mail as your default mailto: program.

Yahoo Mail Default Mailto Program.JPG

In Firefox you can go to Tools -> Options, click Applications, and then next to mailto: select Yahoo Mail

lucky

Valued Member
I tried the suggestion below but in Internet options under programs there is no yahoo mail check box.I am using windows 7 with IE 9 browser.

Hello,

According to Yahoo Help the program that allows you to select Yahoo! Mail as the default email application for your PC is included as part of Yahoo! Toolbar version 7.2 and up for Internet Explorer (not Firefox). If you don't have Yahoo! Toolbar v.7.2 or later for Internet Explorer installed, you’ll need to download it before proceeding with these instructions.

Here’s how to set your PC to open Yahoo! Mail when you click an email link on a web page.

• From the “Start” pop-up menu in the lower left corner of your desktop, select “Settings” > “Control Panel”.
  • In the Control Panel, select “Internet Options”. This opens the “Internet Properties” window.
  • Click the “Programs” tab along the top.
  • Click the “E-mail” pull-down menu, and select Yahoo! Mail.
  • Click OK. Done!
Note: Yahoo! Toolbar v.7.2 and above for Internet Explorer (not Firefox) is the download that adds Yahoo! Mail to your PC's list of email programs to choose from. But after you've chosen Yahoo! Mail as your PC's default email application, Yahoo! Mail will open when you click an email link in any browser.

In the new Yahoo Mail you can click Options in the top right of your inbox and select Set Y! Mail as default mail

lucky

Valued Member
Here is the cut and paste from a thread I started here.

I have recently got one new laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 bit and did a clean install of windows 7 home premium 64 bit on my older desktop. Both are using IE 9 for browsers.
Somehow on the laptop I download Yahoo messenger with yahoo tool bar.
With the laptop yahoo mail must be my default mail because if I click on a web page email link it will open my email. Yahoo mail adviser and yahoo mail are installed if I go into unistall programs in the control panel but don't show up under All Programs. I don't care because it works.
The desktop is another story.I downloaded Messenger and have the tool bar but cannot open a email link like the laptop. I cannot down load just the tool bar and check make yahoo my default because it says it is not compatible and to check if I have 32 or 64 bit operating system. Through Yahoo I tried both the 32 and 64 bit tool bar and neither will download. Both give the same compatibility message.
I took my computers to my local Technician and after 3 hrs he could not make it work either.
If Yahoo mail is the default on the laptop why can't I make it work on the desktop? I hope someone has the answer?

lucky

Valued Member
So no one can help with this problem?
Yahoo themselves don't respond to emails and you can bet that
Bill Gates doesn't give a hoot about Yahoo so what now?:hammer:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Lucky,

Are you using IE9 to download the latest Yahoo Toolbar?

Are you allowing all of the security prompts and browser setting changes when prompted during the install?

Yahoo Toolbar.jpg

Make sure you check the box for the option that says to make Yahoo the default email program.

Restart your computer after the install is done.

I tested on my Windows 7 and the above procedure worked.

Did this information help to solve the problem?

Last edited:

lucky

Valued Member
Hi Lucky,

Are you using IE9 to go to Yahoo! Toolbar - Stay in touch with your world. ?

Are you allowing all of the security prompts and browser setting changes when prompted during the install?

Make sure you check the box for the option that says to make Yahoo the default email program.

Restart your computer after the install is done.

I tested on my Windows 7 and the above procedure worked.

Did this information help to solve the problem?

The problem is I cannot down load the tool bar. I get the following message:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computers system info to see whether you need an x86 (32bit) or x64 (64bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.

You have to remember that my laptop is running the same version of Windows 7 64bit and I can open a new email window by clicking on an email link of a web page.:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

lucky

Valued Member
The problem is I cannot down load the tool bar. I get the following message:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computers system info to see whether you need an x86 (32bit) or x64 (64bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.

You have to remember that my laptop is running the same version of Windows 7 64bit and I can open a new email window by clicking on an email link of a web page.:rofl:

I guess you have given up on this subject? I know if it was easy I could have used Yahoo help to figure it out but???? This is not easy and Yahoo should step up but???????? There free so don't get any personalized support right??:thanks:But I want to do this:hammer: to my CP

THERESA

Customer Service
Here are updated directions for windows 7. First, download the latest yahoo toolbar and then follow these simple screenshots.

tools.jpg

internet options.jpg

programs set.jpg

set default.jpg

select yahoo mail (might have to scroll).jpg You may have to scroll to the bottom to select yahoo. When you click on yahoo mail, it will then show up in the box labelled "2"

ok.jpg Then you will click on the words "set this program as default" you will not be clicking the "ok" button.

lucky

Valued Member
I did what you said and I do not have Yahoo mail or anything that says Yahoo in the list of programs.I even tried uninstalling Yahoo toolbar and doing a clean install but it's still not showing in the list?
I used Revo uninstaller to uninstall the toolbar and I checked and the re-installed toolbar is there but I can't find Yahoo under "all programs" or in accessories??
I went into the control panel and clicked "programs and features" and Yahoo toolbar and software updates are there.??

Last edited:

lucky

Valued Member
Hi, popowich

I have solved my problem.I found a program on the internet made to make whatever email you are using your default. I downloaded it and it works like a charm.If I could find where I wrote it down I would post it but I can't find it right now.