Horde Webmail

foggy

Valued Member
Hi,

I have an account with PolarisMail and they offer use of 6 (!) different interfaces. One of them is Horde which at first glance I really didn't like, but now I'm trying to get to know it better.

One immediate issue arose: Does it auto-save drafts ? I started a test message and even after about 10 minutes it didn't auto-save. But when I save manually it brings be back to the Inbox !! Is there any way to save a draft while composing and to continue composing without being taken elsewhere ? FWIW, under Options > Message Drafts the box next to: Should the compose window be closed after saving a draft? is already UNchecked.

Thanks !

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I've been using Horde+IMP for over 7 years now. Horde is the framework for many projects, IMP is the actual webmail client that runs on the horde framework. Like anything else it has it's pros and cons when compared to other webmail clients. For me the biggest con has been the slowness when dealing with huge mailboxes due to it being a web based imap client and probably due in part to the mailbox format I choose to use. The nice pro is that it is a web based service that can live outside our actual email infrastructure which allowed us to move our horde+imp webmail to faster Linux servers outside the core of our email hosting environment. Didn't mean to go into review mode... :)

The current version of IMP does not support auto saving drafts. I would expect the auto saving of drafts to eventually be an option under the Message Composition Options :

Horde IMP Message Composition Options.JPG

I checked their feature request system and the auto save drafts feature you are looking for will be available in IMP 5.0. The current stable release of IMP is version 4.3. My Save Draft does the same thing by default. It closes the message window when I save a draft. I checked my options and after unchecking the option my new message window does stay open when saving a draft. Did you remember to click the Save button after unchecking the box?

Horde IMP Save Options.JPG

One other thing I noticed was that if I resume a draft and save draft again I get a second draft in my drafts folder. That leaves a user with the chance of savings multiple drafts, resuming and sending one of them, but then still having other drafts leftover in their drafts folder. My preference would be to overwrite the existing draft that had been resumed.

foggy

Valued Member
Hi, Ray !

Thanks for the informative reply !

I'm glad to hear that the auto-save function will eventually be implemented. And I, too, have noticed the multiplying of drafts in the draft folder. I hope they can fix that.

As far as my settings go, as I noted in my original post, the box about closing the window after saving was already unchecked. And I think it was that way when I first started trying out the Horde interface at PolarisMail. Just as a test, though, I checked the box, then opened a test draft and saved it. The window closed. So, I went back in settings and unchecked it again (each time clicking 'save options') and opened a test draft and saved it. The draft window still closes and goes back to the inbox. :(

Oh, well. I guess it's just a bug/glitch I'll have to live with. (I do use the Squirrelmail interface there as well, so it's not a big deal if there are some 'issues' with Horde.)

Anyway, thanks again for your comments !! :)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Are you able to change and save any of your preferences?

This sounds like it might be a configuration issue for the host to look into.

foggy

Valued Member
Hi, Ray

Yes, I can save other changes I have made in Options. But you may be right about it being something the host (PolarisMail) should address. They have a great and extremely reliable service, but each of their webmail interfaces (Atmail, Roundcube, Squirrelmail, Horde, OpenWebMail, and their own custom interface) has a bug or two to be worked out. So, this may be one of them. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your input !