Help with setting up YPOPs going through Verizon

gabriel07104

New Email
I downloaded and was able to use YPOPs with my Yahoo account at work. Installation and set up was a breeze. I attempted to try the same thing at home and after 4 hours decided to see if anyone could help.

I am using Windows XP Home with Outlook 2003 (started testing now with Outlook Express 6) and Avast4Home antivirus going through a router with Verizon as the ISP.

I kept getting an error message saying it could not create a POP3/SMTP sockets. I changed the ports from 110 and 25 to 1101 and 2025 in the Outlook Express, YPOPs, and Avast with no luck. I changed the server info from 127.0.0.1 to localhost, to two other IP addresses (one internal and the other external) that YPOPs allowed me to select with no luck. I created ports in the Windows Firewall for POP3 and SMTP and nothing. After multiple tweeks and looking through the net for help, I get an error saying "A time-out occurred while communicating with the server" and it brings up an error window with nothing on it. On the title bar of the error page has my user nam- YPOPs! Yahoo Error. The body is blank and to the left of the close button it says Yahoo reported the above error.

Only difference between work where I got the program to run properly and home should be the ISP and that I have Windows XP Pro at work. I am able to access the router at home but the only thing I can't get to is the firewall. It keeps asking for a user name and password that I don't know or don't have. Not sure what else I could do.

gabriel07104

New Email
I tried putting in incoming.yahoo.verizon.net for POP3 and outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net for the SMTP as per the instructions and it still did not work. I keep getting a pop up window asking me to login to incoming.yahoo.verizon.net but it already has my user name and password entered. I keep clicking ok but it continues to come back.

I am not sure if there is an issue with the Verizon Router locking out the two ports or if there is something I am missing. Any help will be welcomed.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Did I misunderstand the original problem description?

Are you trying to check a Verizon yahoo mail account (@verizon.net) from the Verizon connection, or a Yahoo (@yahoo.com) from the Verizon connection?

-Raymond

gabriel07104

New Email
Thank you for your continued assistance.

I am sorry, I may not have explained properly. I have a Yahoo account I am trying to access but I think something with the Verizon DSL service or the router they provided is preventing me from using YPOPs. Nothing I have tried has allowed me to connect.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

What happens if you:

• Click the Windows start button
  • Click Run
  • Type in "telnet incoming.yahoo.verizon.net 110"
  • Click OK
Do you get a box that does nothing or looks like this?
Yahoo Verizon Pop Server Test.JPG
Also, are you using your full email address an your login username?

-Raymond

gabriel07104

New Email
I believe I ran a Telnet check from the command prompt but I don't remember what the results were and if I ran it before or after I installed YPOPs! but I was not sure of what I was doing and did not know what to expect. Here where I work, I copied telnet incoming.yahoo.verizon.net 110 from your reply to the run window and command prompt window came up saying "Connecting to incoming.yahoo.verizon.net..." and it closes after a second. Do I need to have YPOPs! running when I try this? Also, what should I look for? I am not too saavy with email programs and this is my first attemp since YPOPs allows me to use Outlook with my free Yahoo account. I really appreciate your help.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

No, you do not need YPOPS to hit the pop servers for a Verizon pop account.

It's possible that your work is blocking the outbound pop connection to help protect themselves from employees downloading viruses from 3rd party mail servers.

Try the telnet test from home and let us know the results.

:thanks:

gabriel07104

New Email
Good evening,

I got the following message,

+Ok hello from popgate 2.43 on pop103.vzn.mail.ac4.yahoo.com

Not sure what to do next.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
OK, so you have no problem reaching the pop server.

You don't need the YPOPS for this connection so unless you are using it for a yahoo.com account you can uninstall YPOPS.

Are you able to connect with these directions from the Verizon Yahoo setup page?

-Raymond

gabriel07104

New Email
I had an emergency and did not get a chance to check the thread until now. I will give this a try once I get home and will let you know what it says. Thank you.

gabriel07104

New Email
No luck with the instructions. Got errors saying that I could not log on to the incoming server and it could not send a test message. Not sure what I am doing wrong.:hammer: lol

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Your username is your full email address, not just the part left of the @ in your email address.

That's a common mistake. Are you entering your username correctly?

Are you sure you are entering the correct password?

-Raymond

gabriel07104

New Email
Yeah, the normal settings on both Outlook 2003 and YPOPs! worked fine when I tested it at my job. I think the issue may lay with the ports. Not sure if Verizon DSL locks down some of the ports to prevent hacking or what else may be blocking both programs.
I am not sure of who our IPS provider is but I downloaded YPOPs!, set up the email account, and was downloading emails in about 2 minutes.