Help with email forwards project!

equser27

New Email
My name is Ricky.
Congrats on this successful forum.
I see you have huge experience in email related tech, so I seek your advice on my requirement.

Consider I am providing a design & hosting solution to a Fastfood chain for their fan site. They need to let consumers create an email address which will just be a forwarder. It will be 1 main site such as,example.com and it will have 20+ domain options such as, {domains similar to example.com} etc... where the visitor can create his email such as john@example.com

To do such an exercise, these are some options I think I can use:
1. Use an API with the registrar for realtime creation of email fwds
(Good: Maybe easiest. Bad: Registrar may not allow unlimited email fwds, Long term not stable)
2. Use a Server with every consumer landing on 1 website (domain) & create realtime fwd addresses
on multiple domains that are pointed to this server
3. Use a Server with every consumer landing on the multiple individual domains &
create realtime fwd addresses on those specific domains
(Being not too technical, I guess if #2 is possible, then #3 may not have much of an advantage)
4. Use a mail company like fastmail/pobox/mxserver to accomplish this
5. Anything I don't know yet : )

Would like you to please suggest which will be the best approach &
then what exactly should be the MX on each of the domains so I can hire a programmer and get started with the entire operation.

Cheers,
Rickson

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Ricky,

The proposed forwards system could have a lot of problems with being marked as spam unless you take action to make sure email is handled in a way that, for example, an email From: Gmail through a forward hosted by you then delivered to a Hotmail account isn't marked as spam by Hotmail because it came from you instead of the Gmail service mail servers.

For #1 check out the Mailgun API w/ Rackspace. I'm not sure if their hosting meets all of your requirements.

For #2 it's easy to build a scalable solution within AWS. If you are interested in hiring me as a consultant please connect with me on LinkedIn.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

equser27

New Email
Hi Ricky,

The proposed forwards system could have a lot of problems with being marked as spam unless you take action to make sure email is handled in a way that, for example, an email From: Gmail through a forward hosted by you then delivered to a Hotmail account isn't marked as spam by Hotmail because it came from you instead of the Gmail service mail servers.

For #1 check out the Mailgun API w/ Rackspace. I'm not sure if their hosting meets all of your requirements.

For #2 it's easy to build a scalable solution within AWS. If you are interested in hiring me as a consultant please connect with me on LinkedIn.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Thanks popowich!
The SPAM point is well noted.
I'm going to read more on the Mailgun API
As far as hiring as a consultant, I look forward to studying this a bit further in detail and then get back when appropriate.

Thanks again & would love it if other experts can chip in.