Hacked by proxy vpn

Girlwest

New Email
Hi,

I discovered that some emails and photos were deleted in my email account. After using the hotmail recent activity link in account settings, I saw that someone has been logging into my account from a private vpn service, which after some digging I discovered was sold by a company called boxpn.

I've contacted this company and asked them to help trace the person who has hacked my account, but had no luck. Is there anything else I can do? Surely they cannot sell services for people to hind behind and do email hacking?

(I've since changed all the email securing on my hotmail account).

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, sad but true, some VPN services don't care who they sell service to.

If not saying that's the case here for certain, but it is possible you'll never know anything more about who hacked your account.

I recommend changing your password, turning on 2 step verification, checking your account information, and gathering the details here in case your account gets hacked again (turning on the 2-step login should significantly reduce the chance of that happening):

http://www.emailquestions.com/hotmail/8561-what-do-before-your-hotmail-account-gets-hacked.html

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Last edited by a moderator:

Girlwest

New Email
Thanks very much for your quick reply.

I will upgrade the account settings.

I have emailed the company again and pressed for a better response because I suspect that the first response was standard.

Will Microsoft be of any help with this kind of situation?

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I doubt Microsoft can provide more information than they only know the IP that connected to, and the same kind of "how to secure your account to help keep it from getting hacked again" kind of response, but it can't hurt to report the problem to them too. They would have access to see how many other accounts have been compromised and accessed by that IP and take measures to stop other compromised accounts from sending spam. That won't help you much, but you'd be doing your part to try and help the internet a little bit in general.

Last edited by a moderator: