GoDaddy server email issues

fearmydesign

Valued Member
We recently purchased a dedicated hosting server with GoDaddy (not sure if this was a really good idea to tell you the truth). After many, many.... many issues with the server, we finally got it stable...kind of.

Currently our own internal company emails go into SPAM when we send emails to eachother. GoDaddy said we needed to upgrade MailEnable so we did, and Spam Assassin as well and we paid for that as well... I get the feeling that they really don't know and keep making us waste more money. Unfortunately our Spam Filtering on the server wide settings was set to delete all spam... so yes, some emails that were being sent from employees were also being deleted without even making it to the recipients junk folder.

My Question is, there is a setting called White List on Plesk where I know you can add all the safe email addresses, but this would take forever to do for each individual email. Then there is another setting called Trusted Networks List, and it's asking me for "IP address/mask" - what is this? and would this solve our internal emailing problems at least?

Thank you and sorry for the length of this thread.

Regards

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The trusted networks is likely part of the SpamAssassin configuration too.

For example in my SpamAssassin I have my smtp relays listed in the trusted networks on my incoming mail servers.

Only put networks into trusted networks that you operate.

Here is the official blurb from the SpamAssassin documentation :

trusted_networks ip.add.re.ss[/mask] ... (default: none)
What networks or hosts are 'trusted' in your setup. Trusted in this case means that relay hosts on these networks are considered to not be potentially operated by spammers, open relays, or open proxies. A trusted host could conceivably relay spam, but will not originate it, and will not forge header data. DNS blacklist checks will never query for hosts on these networks. See TrustPath - Spamassassin Wiki for more information.
MXes for your domain(s) and internal relays should also be specified using the internal_networks setting. When there are 'trusted' hosts that are not MXes or internal relays for your domain(s) they should only be specified in trusted_networks.
If a /mask is specified, it's considered a CIDR-style 'netmask', specified in bits. If it is not specified, but less than 4 octets are specified with a trailing dot, that's considered a mask to allow all addresses in the remaining octets. If a mask is not specified, and there is not trailing dot, then just the single IP address specified is used, as if the mask was /32.
If a network or host address is prefaced by a ! the network or host will be excluded (or included) in a first listed match fashion.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I think the best answer to your question is to take this one step further.

SpamAssassin should only be filtering incoming email on port 25.

Yes, it is a good idea for SpamAssassin to be properly configured, but...

Your users if using the same server for sending email should be using some flavor of smtp authentication on port 587 that allows them to relay but does not filter their email with SpamAssassin.

Separating the incoming email and smtp relay services should solve the problem.

fearmydesign

Valued Member
We made the decision to actually send our emails through a Linux CentOS server instead. We will just host the website on the Windows server. It just seems much safer and reliable to do this.

Any thoughts?

Regards

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Seems reasonable enough. Helps prevent all of your services from going down at the same time too if they are spread across multiple servers.