gmail suddenly will not send attachments

For a month (previously it worked fine) I have not been able to send letters with attachments--even 24kb-- via my gmail address. Letters w/o attachments, yes. On the same computer, addresses with yahoo.it and libero.it do send attachments. The connection/ADSLmodem is with Alice (Italian telecom).The error with gmail is (and I translate from Italian): "server has interrupted the connection. it can be due to problems relative to the server or to the net: accout:G_mail; server smtp.gmail.com, Protocol:SMTP, Port 465, protection SSL:yes Error socket 10053, Error 0x800CCC0F..I have tried disactivating my antivirus (Avira), and sending with or without Windows Mail but no differance. However accessing my Gmail account from another computer does allow attachments to pass. Any suggestions gladly received!

I tried changing the outgoing port from 465 to 587--which I tried without success; the error notice received was the same as always. I also checked and found that POP3 and IMAP are activated. This computer was set up in August and worked fine:incoming and outgoing, and the settings haven't changed but the problem arose in November. I continue to hope for assistance.

Finally, able to access reply to thread--after 10 attempts..I must have a conflict with protection (?)...In response to "Raymond"..thank you for your suggestion, but it did not make any differance to change the Port to 587. I did check that both POP3 and IMAP are activated. The letter+attachment begins to transfer, but shortly stops (a few seconds), followed by error message which is the same as always. The settings were put in place last August when the computer was bought (with Vista preinstalled) and have not been changed---however, the inability to send attachments via gmail only began in November. I continue to hope that someone will have an idea to resolve this...

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Have you made any recent changes you your computer?

Do you have an anti-virus or firewall program that is blocking outgoing e-mail connections from your computer?

Which anti-virus and firewall programs are you using? Are they up to date?

If all else fails, have you tried doing a system restore back to early November before the problem started.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Is the problem only when you try to send attachments or with all email that you try to send?

the problem is only with attachments
(photo or text) and only with gmail. But, I have just noted two
other strange symptoms (related or not?): 1. Letters left in the
"drafts" box become truncated 2. None of the mail systems that I use
(libero..it, yahoo.it , gmail.com) will send a response tagged on to
a received letter. These are both new developments. The antivirus is
Avira which I update regularly as it suggests. Firewall, hmmm. I
clicked on the icon and found Windows Firewall: disactivated. I don't
know if there is another firewall somewhere..as I don't know where
else to check. A fine mess...Best, Toni

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

If you have not made any changes to your computer can you try doing a system restore back 4-6 weeks before the problem started? After doing the system restore immediately update your anti-virus and do a spyware scan. When everything is up to date and running OK try going back into Gmail and seeing if your problem is fixed.

Dear Raymond, I wrote to you about a problem with gmail "not sending
attachments, or responses". You suggested a "system restore".. And you were absolutely right! We were finally able to follow the directions (bought a
Vista how-to book in Italian--as the computer prompts and visuals are
different). Immediately after the "ripristina", virus update etc. the gmail
worked perfectly. What a relief! I just hope it remains so. Best regards,
Toni

Hi Raymond, Re: gmail not sending attachments (or replies)...I wrote you
last week after the capability for send attachments etc. was restored by a
"system restore" that you suggested. But, I spoke too soon! After 3 days,
the problem had returned as before. Is the "system restore" a process to do
regularly, or is it a last resort? I am seriously thinking of switching to a
Mac system....Best, Toni

Dear Raymond, before waiting for your answer my husband went ahead and did
another "system restore"...but this time it didn't have the desired effect.
Gmail still refuses to send any attachment even a very small one. It tries
to-- the blue line ticks along a bit---but takes so long that the error
window pops up. I am wondering if it has to do with our virus filter. After
the first "restoration" we were careful not to update or add any programs.
The only thing changing without our hands on is the Avira Antivirus guard.
Yahoo continues to work fine...Our local PC technicians are stymied. Best,
Toni

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Toni,

No, regularly scheduled system restores is not a good solution for the problem.

I'm going to let one of the Windows experts jump in here and they should have some more suggestions for you.

yukon

Valued Member
after reviewing the case history, I think your next logical is to attempt removing (in its entirety) the Avira AV suite. Most AV softwares bascially work by setting up a proxy service on your computer. All traffic going in and out get "stopped" at this checkpoint and examined for virues, malware etc.

Your next step after removing Avira completly + minimum 2 reboots (first at the end of the uninstall whether or not the Avira uninstaller tells you do it or not, the second "just to be on the safe side") is to test your attachment issues. Hopefully they will work, and you are advised to immediately replace Avira with an alternative. Personally I switched to Avira a few months ago because I heard such great things about its free version. The popups once a day (or whenever it updates) is enough to drive me crazy and I'm seriously considering changing back to another free AV either AVG or Avast!.