GMail Problems 9/10/11 November 2010

cag28

New Email
:welcome:I am an older experienced email user of some 20 years and cannot understand the problem I have had with gmail. I have not received any emails for 3 days and yesterday they were admitting to a problem but today they say they are fully operational. As you cannot contact gmail support, which I cannot understand either, only post question in their gmail forum. Has anybody else had a problem? and any suggestions how I can fix it? :thanks::hammer:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, there was a recent problem that was reported to have only been affecting a small percentage of Gmail users. That issue is supposed to be fixed but I am still seeing intermittent long delays when changing between Gmail labels.

Your problem does not sound like it's related to the recent slowness issues. Even the best of us have had problems with our Gmail accounts. I went a few weeks when my Gmail account was not receiving new email.

What is your email address? If you don't want to post it publicly can you send it to example@EmailQuestions.com? I can send you a test email and do a manual smtp conversation to double check just in case any bounces are getting blocked by your secondary email provider. When you send a test message to your Gmail account from another email account not hosted at Gmail do you get back any error messages? Did you check your filters to make sure you are not accidentally deleting or doing something else with your incoming email? Check your Spam, Trash, and disable any pop3/imap access to your Gmail account.

Go to this link, change your password, and verify that your account recovery options all have the correct information and are pointing to email accounts and phone numbers that belong to you.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

cag28

New Email
:thanks:I did what you said and disabled my pop and Imap and changed my password and checked my details and lo and behold my emails since 9.21 this morning are arriving.:siterock:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
That's odd. I would not expect old emails to start delivering too.

I replied to the email that you sent to example@ before reading this post.

It's great to hear that it is working now!

Can you post or reply to example@ with the full email headers from one of the delayed Gmails?

I'd like to see if there was a Gmail server they got stuck at. :thanks:

cag28

New Email
Sorry, don't get too excited only my email from the time I disabled pop and imap. I am not sure how to post headers. So where are my 3 days of emails. I really do not understand.:thanks:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Ah, that makes a little more sense. It's possible that someone else had access to your email.

If you did not update them already also make sure that your account recovery options are set to addresses/devices that belong to you.

Do you see any emails in your Sent Mail that you did not send?

Also, check the Details link in the footer under your inbox.
Gmail Login Details.JPG
Sign out all other sessions. Do you see any other IP addresses that have accessed your email account?

cag28

New Email
The details only go back to when I disabled pop/imap and there are no emails in my sent other than mine. I have changed my password. So the only mystery is where my emails went for 3 days as they were not bounced, my friends had no idea I had a problem. Should they have been bounced? and where are they?:thanks:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
My best guess is that if it's been this long and it did not either deliver or get returned to the senders then it's probably lost.

Maybe someone else had access to your account, maybe there was a problem with your account.

Without any proof (bounces/logs) it's impossible to know was caused the problem.