Gmail POP Accounts Fetch Rate

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Here's a nagging little problem that irks me to no end. I had one of my email addresses setup as an account on my server and had Gmail fetch it via POP as opposed to just forwarding into Gmail.

My reasoning for an account vs. forward is so I could send mail as via SMTP instead of through Gmail's outgoing servers because people were complaining my emails went to their spam folder. I figured the sending IP not matching the MX record was the problem. This is my main business email and I cannot have it going to spam. Asides who trusts a web guy who cannot even keep their email out of the spam folder? :hammer:

Long story short, Gmail's fetch rate from the account appears to be controlled by how much incoming mail it gets. The more incoming mail the more often Gmail checks the inbox. Which sounds fine and dandy until you aren't receiving much incoming mail and an important email appears in your inbox with a received time of 2 hours earlier. That's not good for business.

You can manually check by clicking the fresh button in Gmail but that doesn't help when I'm waiting for a push notification on my phone.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I prefer forwards into Gmail over having Gmail pop other accounts, mostly becuase the delay bothered me too.

What domain had the spam folder problem? Maybe we can fix it.

Does the domain have any SPF records? What SMTP server setting were you using for sending?

Matching those up should help. We can also check the sending IP reputation & blacklistings etc.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
I prefer forwards into Gmail over having Gmail pop other accounts, mostly becuase the delay bothered me too.

What domain had the spam folder problem? Maybe we can fix it.

Does the domain have any SPF records? What SMTP server setting were you using for sending?

Matching those up should help. We can also check the sending IP reputation & blacklistings etc.

Thanks Ray. hutterweb.com was the spam problem and reason I started using my outgoing smtp server through Gmail. I don't know much about spf records, etc so I've always used cPanel's default settings.

The trouble is I need to setup an account on my server to use the outgoing mail server. If I setup an account in addition to the forward mail is going to go to it and I'll have to remember to clean it out here and there.