Gmail Labs Multiple Inboxes

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
There is a nifty gmail labs feature that you can enable called multiple inboxes.

What the multiple inboxes feature does is addition to having your regular inbox you have a second inbox with all of your starred messages.

It makes it much easier to keep your high priority emails organized and "in your face" until you have responded to them.

Google Labs Multiple Inboxes.JPG

To enable multiple inboxes go to your Settings, Click the Labs tab, Click enable by Multiple Inboxes, and then save your new settings.

Last edited:

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
I tried it and didn't care for it. To me one the best things about Gmail is having everything all in one box right in front of you. For stuff I don't need to see right away I have filters that label and archive it.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I do filter most of my incoming email into labels so that they don't clutter my inbox. The problem is once they are in the labels I don't see them anymore even if I starred them. The multiple inbox only appears when you click your inbox. I like it because it creates a situation where starred messages are displayed more often. It can also be used for other searches and not starred messages, but that is all I was looking for in the feature so I haven't customized it any further than the defaults.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Ray check out the 'Hide Read Labels' addon from Labs. It does what it says, hides labels with no unread messages it makes unread but archived messages easier to discern.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I don't think this was always an option, but I noticed it today when going back to see if I could fix my multiple inboxes from after the tabs update. Once the Gmail tabs was released my multiple inboxes were pushed to the bottom of my inbox page. Here is how to change the settings to get the multiple inboxes back on top of your standard inbox:

Gmail Settings.JPG
Gmail move multiple inboxes above the regular inbox.JPG

Last edited: