Gmail folders

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Why do you think Gmail does not have folders?

Do you think it is because they have pop access and if there are folders people get confused as to why email in their folders (or filtered to folders) does not download when accessing their email with pop3?

-Raymond

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
I've always thought folders were a PITA. Back in the day before global search in mail programs you'd have to figure out which folder you put something in before you even started searching for it. Half the times you spent more time searching for the folder than you did the actual email! :eek: Labels are great because you can tag 1 thing with as many labels as you want. Say you get a note about a new server project. I'd label it under the customer's name and as current.

Folders are the same way throughout the computer, it's a used to be a major PITA to find things before Vista and it's search capabilities. Windows 7 is supposed to have something called libraries which will put all of a certain type of file in one library no matter where it is on the computer. For instance all your pictures will be in one library. The library is just like the label idea.. It's easy to find stuff that way. :)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The more I am using them the more I dislike labels. I would prefer to have a tidy inbox and several email folders in my gmail. I have been moving toward using my Gmail as my primary e-mail address and having a copy of selected (not all, read: important to me) emails go to the account that I access most often. Gmail does a great job of filtering spam. I would like to have a near empty inbox and a separate folder for things like forum notifications, google alerts, individual contacts I expect to receive email from sometimes (Dan, Eric, etc). Maybe it is because I don't like change and trying to turn my Gmail account into the old Outlook Express filters plus folders config I would have been using 10+ years ago. I'm trying to move away from PINE as my primary e-mail reader.

-Raymond

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
You can keep your inbox tidy and make a label act like a folder. Simply make the filter to automatically label the message with a label then archive it. You'll have an unread count next to the label just like a folder. ;) I do this with forum notices and newsletters.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Oh, I see. I fix my labels and filters to use archiving and see if I can configure them to my liking with with archives setting.

-Raymond