Gmail Contacts Question...

ECC

New Email
I've noticed that if I click on certain contacts, I can view my most recent "interactions" with them. Some of these interactions (emails) are highlighted in BOLD as if they have not been read yet while some of my messages to them are not highlighted. Is this a feature showing whether or not my sent emails have been read or not??? That would be my assumption...but I'm really not all that familiar with the inner workings of gmail. Thank you for any feedback I can get!

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Yes, If I get a test email from a contact and I check the interactions, the unread email is bold font while the read emails are regular font.

If you have unexpected unread emails from a contact, type doing a search in your All Mail label for the email address of that contact.

ECC

New Email
Yes, If I get a test email from a contact and I check the interactions, the unread email is bold font while the read emails are regular font.

If you have unexpected unread emails from a contact, type doing a search in your All Mail label for the email address of that contact.

They all appear to be "read" there (they are not highlighted). I searched for them as you outlined and they are not highlighted in bold, like they are when I see them listed under recent "Interactions" with that particular party, after clicking on their name in my "Contacts" section.

Perhaps I need to clarify my question.?.? I'm not referring to mail I have received. I'm referring to mail I have sent to another party. I was curious if Gmail had a built in feature that allowed us to see if the mail had been read by another party b/c some of my recent messages to a certain party appear as if they have not been read (are still highlighted in bold when viewed under "Contacts" and then "Interactions")... These messages are not, and never have been, highlighted in my regular email box. They are only highlighted in the Contacts section of the website, under the interactions tab.

Thanks again for any help I can get about this issue!

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
If I send an email to a Gmail contact, it's not bold even though it's brand new and not read yet.

If I send an email to an external contact, that shows up as bold in the interactions.

I'm not certain of the specific definitions and behavior Google has for this feature, but I hope that information helps to confirm or is similar to your results.

ECC

New Email
If I send an email to a Gmail contact, it's not bold even though it's brand new and not read yet.

If I send an email to an external contact, that shows up as bold in the interactions.

I'm not certain of the specific definitions and behavior Google has for this feature, but I hope that information helps to confirm or is similar to your results.

Please forgive my ignorance but could you explain what you mean by "external contact". I would assume you are referring to someone who is not listed as one of your saved contacts...or someone who does not use gmail??? If so, this might infer that this particular party has me blocked or something.?.? Would that be accurate??? I'm kind of baffled by this...

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
By external contact I meant a contact listed in my Gmail contacts, but their email address (a Yahoo address) is not hosted by Gmail. Google doesn't know if/when they read the email.

ECC

New Email
By external contact I meant a contact listed in my Gmail contacts, but their email address (a Yahoo address) is not hosted by Gmail. Google doesn't know if/when they read the email.

Roger that...so if it's a gmail address and one of your contacts, it should show whether or not the messages have been read...or at least, that's what I've been able to gather. I appreciate your feedback! Thank you.