forwarding from yahoo to gmail

maggie

New Email
Yahoo is blocking the forwarding function to gmail unless I upgrade to a paying service. How can I get around this?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Maggie,

You are correct, automatically forwarding e-mail from a Yahoo mail account is a premium service.

To get around it you could set up a process that automatically downloads Yahoo mail with POP3 to your desktop with YPOPs, and then have a mail program on your computer automatically redirect all incoming e-mail to your gmail account.

The directions for the first part are covered in the link above.

If you would like the details for the automatic forwarding from Outlook Express (or some other program) with filters to Gmail let me know and I'll write up the directions for you.

It's not pretty, but it will work. :)

-Raymond

maggie

New Email
Thanks, I had found your instructions about the POP download moments before, not sure if it would work - but I'll go back and try the second step now.

maggie

New Email
I downloaded YPOPs to my desktop but can't find the key to forwarding yahoo mail there. I have tried from within Yahoo, and looked at Set programs for my laptop...tried from ypops...

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
YPOPs itself can't to the forwarding. YPOPs is a middle man program that lets a desktop mail program such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, or Mozilla Thunderbird download mail from your free Yahoo mail account to your computer.

What program are you using to download the Yahoo mail with POP3? This is the program that you created a new account in and pointed at the mail servers 127.0.0.1 in the YPOPs directions. In that program you will need to create a filter or rule to forward all mail it has downloaded to your Gmail account. If you let me know which program I can help create the filters/rules for the forwarding.

-Raymond

maggie

New Email
I access yahoo with mozilla - not sure if that answers your question - I do not use outlook or outlook express.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Maggie,

Download YPOPs.

Download and Install Mozilla Thunderbird.

Use this guide to configure Thunderbird with YPOPs

Create a filter in Thunderbird that forwards all e-mail to your gmail account.

Go to Tools and select Message Filters to create the rule.

If you do all of these steps, in this order, and leave Thunderbird running on your desktop, you should have a system in place that is able to forward your free Yahoo mail account to your Gmail account.

Maybe someday Yahoo will let free accounts forward their mail for free. ;)

-Raymond