Forwarding E-mail based off of a time delay

Tzerial

New Email
Hello,
I am trying to set up a forwarding system that forwards an e-mail if another e-mail has not arrived. an example would be I write an e-mail saying Hi to my friend. if I don't send another e-mail saying "How are you" it will forward the first message to another e-mail account. This is trying to help with an alert system I have at work. I receive an e-mail stating a connection timed out but then 1 min. later it sayes its ok. I am trying to eliminate the need to receive these e-mails if it is just going to recover so quickly. Any suggestions? does anyone know of a service or a way I can accomplish this? Thank you

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

This is an issue with the configuration of the monitoring system that you are using and not an email issue.

What software are you using for monitoring?

For systems monitoring I like to use Spong. It's old, but I like it.

A newer alternative that many admins seem to like is Nagios,

Can you configure the motoring so the checks need to fail x times over y minutes before generating an alert to your email and/or pager email addresses?

I've found that not alerting until 3 failed checks happen within 5 minutes works well for me.

Brief downtime due to network blips and other unexplained phenomenon will not cause you to be alerted. :)

-Raymond

Tzerial

New Email
Yes we are currently using Nagios. I will have to look into adjusting some of those settings. Thank you so much!