Foggy's Email Thread

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Foggy,

Glad to see that you are still checking in.

Have you discovered anything new in the world of email lately?

I finally got an iPhone and I'm missing my Gmail SuperStars Lab.

Too bad I can't see my stars on my phone since they set help me organize what's a priority and needs immediate attention.

-Ray

foggy

Valued Member
Hi, Ray

Wow ! My own thread !! :yay:

Actually, my lawn work has been keeping me busy since April, so I really haven't had all that much time to spend in the world of email -- or much of anything else internet-wise. :eek: I do manage to check in here (usually daily), but haven't done much else -- and haven't had the time (or in most cases the experience) to be able to offer help to the many people coming here with various issues.

In my own case, I've scaled down quite a bit email-wise. I closed my Gmail and Hotmail accounts (though I do still have a GApps account for my one remaining domain, which I will be allowing to expire in Oct.). Being from a small town, I guess I have more of a 'mom and pop store' attitude these days. So I've been sticking with 'the little guys.' And with so many people here and elsewhere complaining of Hotmail related issues, including blocked account and lost email, I really haven't looked back as far as abandoning that provider is concerned. (But maybe the "soon"-to-be-unveiled-to-the-world Coldmail will provide some 'cool' features.)

But for now I'm using FastMail ($5/yr Ad-Free level), OpenMail.cc, and Hushmail. And even though the latter two are kind of short on features, I actually like the simplicity of that. OTOH, FM is email for geeks, so I can customize that to my heart's content. ;) Oh, I am trying out the Windows Live Desktop client. Just for fun. Never liked Thunderbird.

Re: iPhone: I suppose that same 'small town' mentality of mine is why I just never got into the whole iPhone phenomenon. I need to sit in front of a nice sized monitor with a regulation-sized keyboard on my lap to be happy doing email. But I guess guys in your business -- and busyness -- truly benefit from all the advancements in communication technology, even though they haven't figured out how to get Gmail stars on your iPhone yet. :p

Oh.... although I haven't discovered anything much new myself, I do remember reading this article a few weeks ago that gave me pause. Scary.

Scott

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The iPhone is nice and more useful than I thought it would be.

Sure, my game time ticked up a little bit, but so did my geocaching hobby and having instant access to all sorts of information is great!

Yes, from the business angle it's also nice to be able to respond to emails faster.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Dang, I'm slacking, no replies since July? The summer went fast!

I changed day jobs again between the last post and now.

I've noticed some apple store apps that supposedly integrate with hushmail, pgp, or other software used by email security conscious users.

Get a phone yet? :)

foggy

Valued Member
Hi, Ray !

I hope you like your new job ! (They better not catch you responding to message board questions during work hours ! ;))

No, I won't be getting an iphone. I'm barely able to afford my health insurance and internet service. Getting & maintaining a phone is beyond my means. Besides, most people I need to talk to are right here in town (easy driving distance). And those who are farther away, I only email once every few weeks. Nope. In my case anything beyond my present $9 TracFone would be a very unnecessary expense. :rolleyes:

If you had to pick one provider to use your phone with, who would it be ? Gmail ? Hushmail ? Live/Hotmail ? And why ? Just curious. :)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I use my Gmail from my iPhone. That's my primary email account. I switched to them a few years ago now. The service just works. No problems. The interesting thing is that once I got myself an iPhone (finally) I've found that I use still use the email for sending myself notes and pictures, but when sending a message to someone else I've started to use the Facebook messaging more often than email.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I think I need to take that comment 1/2 back.

I think Facebook messages replaced more of my personal IM traffic than it did of my email.