Enable Yahoo Spell Checker

jvl

New Email
I am tryiong to enable Yahoo Spell Checker. All of the instructions I have found say to "Switch to Rich Text", bit I don't know how to do that. Can y ou give me instructions for switching to rich text and enablibg the spell checker.
I am running W 7 Ultimate, IE 11, and Yahoo Ad Free Mail.
Thanks a lot.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

I think you need full featured Yahoo not rich text.

Here is a screen shot of the spell checker in full featured mode:

Yahoo Spell Checking.JPG

Last edited:

jvl

New Email
Hi Popowich: Thanks for the information. I don't really know what you mean by "full featured". I don't even know what I have. I will see whaty I can do and get back to you. Thanks again. jvl

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi jvl,

Click the link in my above post to see the directions for switching between basic and full featured Yahoo.

If you are full features but don;t see the spell check at the bottom of a new email that you're writing please take a screen shot.

:thanks:

jvl

New Email
Hi Popowich: I did find the spell check (abc) at the bottom of the email. When I clicked on it I got a message that said: "mIsspelled words have been underlined in red", but no words were underlined despite the fact that I purposely misspelled some words. Apparently. I still need to do spmething else to make the sp[ell check workl correctly. What am I missing?

I still have not seen anythimng that tells me if I am in full featured or basic.

jvl

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi jvl,

Which web browser do you use?

Are you using the latest version and is your flash player up to date?

Do you have any security software that might be blocking java or other scripting on web pages?

Some web browsers such as Mozilla Thunderbird have built in spell checking so that you don't need to worry about fixing the Yahoo spell checker if that's an acceptable solution for you.

jvl

New Email
Dear Popowich: As youi may know, Yahoo Mail finally got their Spell Checker working in the last day or two, but it is far from p[erfect. It does not catch every misspelled word, even missing the misspelled wrd "you". It has a ery limited dictionary.

My question is now moot. The problem was not at my end, but on Yahoo's.

Thanks for the info about Mozilla Thuderbird. Since Yahoo's spell checKer leaves a lot to be desred, I will give Thnderbird a try.
Thanks, Pop[owich.

jvl