Emails to hotmail.com account in China

Evelyn

New Email
Hi,

How can I send an email to a Hotmail account in China?

I received several emails in my Hotmail account from a relative who is also using a Hotmail account, but lives in China. When I try to "Reply" to his messages (using Hotmail or any other web email), I receive the following error message:

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed."

When I checked the details, it indicated the following:
- Action: failed
- Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

SMTO 550 implies mailbox unavailable or is not local. So, does that mean China blocking incoming emails? or is there some other suffix other than .com I should be using because it is China.

Thanks.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Evelyn,

The failure indicated that you sent the email to an address that does not exist.

Try sending it to the username @hotmail.cn instead of @hotmail.com.

CN is the TLD (top level domain) for China.

-Raymond

Evelyn

New Email
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, using username@hotmail.cn resulted with an error message indicating "Transaction Failed"

Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 Transaction Failed (1022769381:189:-2147467259)

If I received several messages from username@hotmail.com in China, how is it possible that the email address does not exist? In addition, the email address in the "from" field matches a hand written email address given to me in person; thus, I believe it is a correct address.

Thanks for your help.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

If you received emails from it then you should be able to send email replies back to it.

The .cn was a suggestion since it seemed liek you were not sure of the actual email address.

It's hard to say for sure if it's valid or not since you are changing the post to username@

If you send me a private message with the real email address I'll be more than happy to help verify that it exists.

-Raymond

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

The email address that you sent me does not appear to be an active email address.

Is it possible that it used to be working and was deactivated?

I'd hope that for a temporary problem the Hotmail servers would not be 5xx rejecting incoming email messages.

> telnet mx1.hotmail.com 25
Trying 65.54.244.8...
telnet: connect to address 65.54.244.8: Connection refused
Trying 65.54.245.8...
Connected to mx1.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 bay0-mc9-f10.bay0.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at http://privacy.msn.com/Anti-spam/. Violations will result in use of equipment located in California and other states. Fri, 9 Jan 2009 17:05:42 -0800
helo emailquestions.com
250 bay0-mc9-f10.bay0.hotmail.com (3.8.0.31) Hello [66.202.109.26]
mail from:<test@emailquestions.com>
250 test@emailquestions.com....Sender OK
rcpt to:<username@hotmail.com>
550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

I sanitized the address and made it username@ like the conversation above.

-Raymond