Email on 2 desktops messing up!

Andy82

New Email
hi, new here so please excuse me, here is what (until last week) I had setup.
2 pc's 1 hotmail email account, 1 pc setup using pop3 (leaving a copy on the server) & 1 pc using imap.
The pop3 pc receives and sends fine, if an email was read or deleted etc it does not change the status of the email on the 2nd pc using imap & vice versa, this was perfect for me so my staff could read an email without it being marked as read on my pc. Now for some reason this has changed, as soon as the email is downloaded on the pop3 pc (even being unread) the same message is still downloaded to the imap pc but is automatically marked as read, now I'm missing emails when this never used to happen, the only thing that has changed (forced by MS) the imap on the 2nd pc gets locked out by MS who force you to then use Microsoft exchange server, so why is the pop3 now in control???!
Can anyone tell me how to fix this or what I should do to have the same emails on separate pc's without them syncing read, deleted etc thank you
Andy

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Andy,

How about having both PC's set to use IMAP, but on the PC's that are not yours, instead of having a "mark as read" at a default low level set the other computers to a big value such as 9999 so the emails don't get marked as read by them?

Andy82

New Email
Will that still work even if the email is physically opened rather than selected and previewed?

Thank you

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Maybe. You'd have to test it out. An alternate procedure could be to have them right click and mark unread when closing an email, or probably the easiest thing would be to have a copy of your email send to another account that the helpers check? Maybe what you really need is a ticketing system and not multiple inboxes. Is there a problem we can help you to solve better?