Email Newsletters or Social Media

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Obviously I'm an email guy and prefer email, but I get out the occasional tweet too.

Do you focus your marketing efforts on email newsletters, social media (facebook, twitter, etc), or some other form or advertising?

JessG

New Email
Hi,
It depends on the target audience, on what I am promoting\marketing, on the time I have and many other factors.
I really don't think there is any need to choose. A good advertiser needs to know how to use all the methods and to choose each time the best one for the product.
I also believe that good SEO can do miracles. I know that people already declared Google as dead, but the truth is that most of the potential customers use it almost on a daily basis (I know I do).
Jessie

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Who is declaring that Google is dead?

I've read plenty of hype about Facebook being a Gmail killer, but nothing about Google.

I imagine Google is still providing well above 50% of the search traffic for most any web site.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Some of the social media nitwits are saying Facebook will take over Google in searches. What they're missing is the fact that Facebook search is only within Facebook, I don't know about you but when I want information FB is last place I look.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I wouldn't even think to search from Facebook.

I go to Google for my searches.

What do kids 12-17 use for doing their searches?

Facebook, twitter, yahoo, Google?

JessG

New Email
Like I said, I think that Google is here to stay and it will grow and re-invent itself many times.
Nevertheless, Facebook search is useful and I can understand why people use it in addition to Google. They simply supply different kind of results. Facebook can provide an audience opinion and Google can help find professional reliable information. For example, while looking for a hotel or planning a trip somewhere, people would like to see comments of past guests and not only read the official information that a marketer put on the business's web page. On the other hand, while looking for articles on architecture it is more likely to find relevant results on Google.

I also don't think Facebook will replace gmail. People that say that remind me of the people who said that the fax will replace the mail, or that the e-mail will replace the fax. New kinds of media don't necessarily have to take the place of the old ones. In many cases the new ones are simply added to the list of things that make our life more comfortable.