Email Being treated As Spam

I run a small psychotherapy and counselling business in the UK and have recently encountered problems with my emails ending up in clients' spam boxes. Usually this applies to new clients who have contacted me via online business directories / listings or via my website and when I reply, this message ends up in spam. Occasionally, I've had my messages go into spam to clients who I've emailed before with no problems. I'm starting to lose business! Any help in stopping this gratefully received. I suspect there might be a problem with the links between my domain (UK2) and my email provider (AOL) but I don't really understand how it all works and so I'm floundering around trying to fix it.

Many thanks.

C

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi C,

I sent an email to your info address.

Please send me an email as if I were a new customer you were contacting.

:thanks:

Hi Popowich,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - I really appreciate that.

I haven't received an email from you but I think I have worked out what the problem might be from searching the web. I had my business email forwarded to an AOL account via my web domain. All was fine until a couple of months ago. However, I think the AOL account is more vulnerable to being treated as spam as it is essentially a spoof address. I am going to change to using my domain as email host and see if that fixes it.

Best wishes,

C

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi C,

Do you usually send email as your AOL or business address?

If you send email from your business address, use the outgoing mail server setting provided by your email hosting service, and only send email to people who really want your email, you should not have any problems unless your email service provider has a bad reputation.

Please send me an email from your business address too and I'll give that a check too.

There isn't much you can do you improve sending from AOL, it is what it is.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi C,

The reputation of your email providers SMTP relay is great:

https://senderscore.org/lookup.php?lookup=216.40.44.28&ipLookup=Go

Check with your Email and DNS providers and see what they think about adding this SPF record to your DNS zone file:

cclarketherapy.co.uk. IN TXT "v=spf1 a ip4:216.40.44.0/24 include:hostedemail.com ?all"

That should be a safe good start that can be adjusted as needed and might help to get email from your business email not marked as spam.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Caroline,

How many email addresses do you have?

If the SPF record doesn't help, consider trying Google Apps for Business.

We have a coupon code that gets you a discount for the first year, I can help set you up, and sending good emails from Google servers could very likely have a better chance of not getting marked as spam.

Please let me know if you decide that switching to Google Apps is worth trying.