Email address

jafa

New Email
I have had a website for a number of years with an email address pertaining to the site. I'm thinking about closing this site and am wondering if I can keep the email address even though the site is closed.

I have this site for over ten years and every contact, every business and bank credit card has this address and if I have to change it, it's going to be a nightmare.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Jafa,

Do you own your own domain name for the web site and email hosting?

As long as the email isn't associated with a service provider who has the web and email bundled outside your control then you should not have a problem keeping only the email service active.

Worst case you might need to transfer your DNS registration service to someone like Godaddy who will give you some free email accounts and forwards with your DNS service.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

jafa

New Email
Thanks for your reply. I own the domain name so if I close the website and keep the domain name active by paying the yearly fee, which I believe is about $15, I can still use the email address. Is this correct?

If I close the site, I will also end my contract with the host. Who will I pay the yearly fee for the domain name to so that I can continue using the email address?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
It's up to you.

If it was me, I'd do a domain transfer to Godaddy and use the free email service that comes with their DNS service.

There are cheaper registrars, but Godaddy has the best phone based customer service. It's worth the extra couple dollars per year.

jafa

New Email
Thanks a lot for your info. If I go to Godaddy and transfer the domain name to them, will I be able to keep the same email address I've had for all these years?

Will Godaddy take care of the transfer?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Yes, Godaddy can host your email.

Depending where your domain is registered today you might already be able to move your email hosting to that registrar.

If you decide to transfer to Godaddy they will help walk you through the transfer process.