Doubling of line space

ran2far

New Email
Hi, I like writing email like this

A greeting, followed by an empty line, like this:

Then a text block of bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bl, followed by an empty line

Another block of bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

And so on. The problem is, than when using Outlook Express, this single empty line sometimes becomes a triple empty line, like this:

Very annoying. I sometimes write the text in MS Word and then copy/paste into OE. Perhaps that has something to do with it. It doesn't always happen, which is confusing.

What could the problem be?

Cheers

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Start a new email.

Do you send HTML email?

If you're not sure or don't care go to the Format menu and select Plain Text.

Does Format -> Style have the normal option checked?

"It doesn't always happen" It doesn't always happen all the time regardless of if you are composing direct in OE or Word, or it only happens when copying from Word but only some of the time? I hope that made sense :)

:welcome: to Email Questions!

ran2far

New Email
I normally send HTML mail and am aware of the option. But I think not enough aware of the consequence. I found out now that if I reply to a plain text with copy-paste from Word, it will produce the triple line-break. If I change the message to rich text and then copy-paste, it will send in the format I want, i.e. single line-break. I would be curious about why it is like that. I guess because OE imports as if the text was HTML. Or Word marks the text as HTML. Because if I convert the text to plain text and then paste, it doesn't matter in what format I send the mail, it will always be with single line-break.

ran2far

New Email
OK, I thought I had it figured out. If I send to myself of forward to myself what had sent, everything is fine. But I see in the replies that I get from other people that it has turned into the dreaded triple space... which is actually a doubling of line-break. Is OE a bad client that doesn't inform the email software on the other side of the nature of the email text/html? When I read the mail i sent myself on an online reader it reads ok, until I click "view as HTML", then it is back to triple space. In other words, reading the mail in text-mode produces the desired results, whereas reading it in HTML mode, WHICH WAS THE MODE IT WAS CREATED IN, produces the faulty space.

I am lost. What might the problem be?