Does my computer need more memory?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

My home computer has been running slow for a few months and I wanted to see if a memory upgrade would be likely to help fix the problem. I am running Windows XP SP3 and have 1GB of RAM. I understand this is considered near the practical minimum for Windows XP but I generally don't run any large applications except for my Mozilla Firefox which typically uses up at least 300MB of memory by itself. I was amazed so see how cheap memory prices have become over the last couple of years. I did not get 2GB when I ordered the computer because memory was expensive at the time. I can buy direct from Dell and get 1GB modules for $18.99 and 2GB modules for $37.99. While looking for a current guideline online I found out that I want my physical memory to be twice my PF Usage size. To find out your real physical memory and PF Usage sizes open up the task manager by hitting ctrl-alt-del and then select the performance tab.
Windows XP Task Manager.JPG
I have 1GB of real physical memory and 1.5GB of PF Usage. My current memory is 2 x 512MB so my plan is to get (2) 2GB memory modules from Dell and use the existing memory to upgrade my other computer. Don't forget that memory upgrades need to be purchased in pairs! A 4GB upgrade is a little bit more than I seem to need (3GB) but with the prices so low I figure now is a good time to buy extra instead of potentially getting hit with a more expensive upgrade later.

Please see this page for more information on current memory prices

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
It has been several days since the memory upgrade and last reboot.

My Windows XP is running great! Here are the new task manager performance statistics:

Windows Task Manager.JPG