Do you send plain text or HTML email?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Do you send plain text or HTML email newsletters?

Do you send in both formats?

Do you let your subscribers choose between formats?

Do you send different kinds of content in one format or the other depending on the content?

foggy

Valued Member
Most of the email I actually send is to friends & family, so I use html. More entertaining and eye-friendly. But I try not to go overboard with font colors, sizes, etc. since I know the email will look different depending on the recipients' screen resolution, email client, font settings, etc. Plain text is just too... well... plain for my taste. I only use it in replies to email sent that way. :)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Interesting. I was thinking more about business emails such as email sent from a web site to lists of customers. For personal email whenever I have the option I always set my preference to only send email in plain text. I don't see the need to ever hit friends and family with hard to read fonts, colors, and other junk that makes it more likely my email will end up in their junk mail folder.

foggy

Valued Member
Interesting. I was thinking more about business emails such as email sent from a web site to lists of customers. For personal email whenever I have the option I always set my preference to only send email in plain text. I don't see the need to ever hit friends and family with hard to read fonts, colors, and other junk that makes it more likely my email will end up in their junk mail folder.

Ah. Sorry. I thought you meant email in general, not business only.

Anyway: good points !

No, even when it comes to 'personal' email I don't overdo things. Maybe 2 to 4 emoticons to reinforce the 'way' I'm saying something (the same way most/all message boards do !!).

And some text styling (italics, bold, the occasional strikeout, etc.). I really never got into writing like _this_ or *this.* No, my html is on the subdued side, since I know people don't necessarily want to read something barely readable because of all the color, graphics, etc. ! But I like being able to adjust the size and style of a font a bit if I'm writing to someone I know needs the text slightly larger and of a more easily read type (like Times New Roman).