Can't open Yahoo mail attachments anymore

Beetlenut

New Email
I have no idea why I can no longer open Yahoo mail attachments. Been using Yahoo forever! Some months ago, it no longer opened attachments? Been trying & checking all I know. I finally found this great forum site with lots of fantastic help info, but, nothing I've tried so far has worked. I have saved emails with attachments I used to be able to open anytime...Not anymore.

Tried the yahoo troubleshooting guide.
Tried OpenDNS...Didn't help

Attachments don't open or download anymore, they just open to a blank screen. I'm not sure if this started after a WinXP security update or not?

Both my wife's puter & mine developed the same Yahoo problem. I'm using Firefox 3, the wife uses IE 6.

I have since done a complete format & reinstall of winXP with SP3 on my system & still have the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (stupid or advanced)
Thank you

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Which anti-virus program are you using? Is it up to date? Avast anti-virus and yahoo mail were not getting a along for a short while, and I'm not sure offhand if that problem has been resolved yet. Have you tried installing a download manager? Please let us know if either checking avast if you have it installed or installing a download manager helped to fix the problem. If not we'll be more than happy to help you continue to troubleshoot the issue.

-Raymond

Beetlenut

New Email
Thank's Popowich.

Have never used Avast anti virus.
I use Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security on both systems. Have used PC-cillin for 3-yrs with no known issues. I don't use or never had to use a 3rd party download manager in the past. Anytime I clicked on an attachment it would simply show images on the MS Fax & Picture viewer and/or open anything else with other selected programs automaticly.

I have since dug into the bowels of my puter and gotten it to download now with the systems download mngr asking me what I want to do every time, but, the fax & picture viewer is no longer even an option of choice anymore? The wife's puter still won't download even when I do the same thing as I did to mine?

I believe something changed somewhere at sometime & I have no idea what.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Is there a specific attachment extension that does not open properly or is it all attachments?

For example, do .avi files fail to open but Word .doc files open OK?

I do not use a 3rd party download manager myself but it does seem to help band aid the problem for people with downloading attachment issues.

To change what programs are associated with specific file extensions please use these steps:

• Open My Computer
  • Go to the Tools menu and select Folder Options
  • To to the File Types tab
Folder Options.JPG File Types.JPG
Worst case, if the original sender resends the attachment in a zip file are you then able to download the file?

-Raymond

jacynda

New Email
Beetlenut,
I do not know if you have resolved your problem yet, but the same thing happened to me and the solution was very easy and quick. I also have Trend Micro PC-Cillin and the problem is that Yahoo uses Norton to scan documents and the two programs cannot be used at the same time. Go into Trend Micro, click on Virus and Spyware Controls, then Settings, and uncheck the box "Threats in Web Mail Attachments." That should do it! Worked for me!! :)

Last edited:

Beetlenut

New Email
jacynda,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! That did it! :yay: I must have checked that option box on both systems, some time ago, thinking it would be more secure?

Well...One click & the wife & I are fixed!

Uh...Let me rephrase that! :innocent:

Thank's Much!
Beetlenut

Beetlenut

New Email
Hey Popowich,

Did you happen to, just recently, add/edit the Yahoo mail help desk "How to troubleshoot email attachment download problems" to add the rectification, listed above, of my problem with Trend Micro & yahoo? Cuz I swear I didn't see that before when I first came here searching.

Tell me you did or I'll really feel stupid!

Thank's again Ppl

:siterock:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Beetlenut,

Yes, I added it to the article after seeing it is a solution that is helping people.
:thanks:

Jacynda,
Thank you so much for your solution. I have been tearing my hair out as I have been unable to open either my attachments or my recipient contact lists. I now realise this has happened since my trial of Nortons expired and I started using Avast virus protection. Not that there is anything wrong with Avast you just have to realise "Yahoo uses Norton to scan documents and the two programs cannot be used at the same time" as you explained. I fixed the problem by going into Avast, Real Time Shields, Mail Shields and unticking the boxes "Scan Inbound Messages" and "Scan Outbound Messages". Not necessary as Yahoo is already doing this with Nortons. Presto! everything working perfectly now.

i had also same problem of not oppening any attachment in new yahoo mail but its very simple for me m from pakistan i did only one thing to open my attachments simply forward your attachment related mail to gmail account and download from gmail it will work for all of you no problem if yahoo is not working be happy and enjoy dont put yourself in trouble

acneexpert

New Email
Our whole office cannot open any attachments as of today. Nor can we upload any attachments. We are using Avast and I turned off the Mail Shield Scan Inbound Messages and Scan Outbound Messages. Nothing changed. Help!

Laswell

New Email
Hi there,

I used to open any yahoo attachment on my computer once I click on it but sudddenly I cannot open yahoo attachment anymore,even I tried downloading normal attachement that I have viewed so far but cannot download them anymore.I am using avast and tried your suggestion by clicking on avast,mail shield and I uncheck the inbound and outbound as you said but the problem persist. Can anyone here help me out please. This thing is really frustrating

mikeshaw

New Email
Clean all cookies and catch files and histories in your browser. In URL entry, type mail.yahoo.com

Attention: do not use the URL that actually opened the page like:
http://us.mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=10id2ap7711pr since the last part of the url changes all the time. So simply type mail.yahoo.com, the problem will go away. At least it works for me. I had the same problem as 11th post.

It look me a whole to figure it out.

Mike

Laswell

New Email
Hey Mike, YES! YES!! YES!!!. Thank you so much,I tried your suggestion and its now working perfectly. Thank you and God bless you

nugsmom

New Email
Help Im experiencing the same problem with attachments and it's all of a sudden. I have McAfee and I've shut off the secuity settings but nothing has seemed to work.

THERESA

Customer Service
I have McAfee and I've shut off the secuity settings but nothing has seemed to work.

NEVER
shut off your security settings to work around opening an email. If it is a virus and you do that, you will infect your system. Sometimes if the email contains a virus, you will be prevented to open it because it is recognized as a virus. Never work around that safety measure.

Lucky for you Yahoo is having issues right now regarding attachments so it is most likely not caused by a virus. You can upgrade to Yahoo mail plus or forward your email to another email program like Gmail to open them.

dkramer186

New Email
I tried mail.yahoo.com address too and it worked. I have been opening my email the same way for 10 years. No idea why this suddenly happened.

aragon

New Email
hello, we have been using yahoomail for quite some time now however all of a sudden the mail attachments are not downloading from this particular account into my computers,although if i save to dropbox chrome,firefox does that and then i can download it.I have tried disabling quickheal mail virus protection but no use. it also may be of help to know that my other yahoo mail account can download attachments without any issues on the same computer and same browsers. i fear there might be some yahoo setting i have changed in this particular account which is causing the problem. we use this mail for all official proposes and now our entire office has to forward mail to gmail and download attachments, please please please help!:confused: