Can't open e-mail attachments

Crandin

New Email
I can't open email attachments no matter what I do!

I've tried the usual remedy of unclicking the 'potential virus' option in Outlook Security but it doesn't work.

When I click on the attachment and request it to 'open' it just saves it. When I click on the saved file, it just saves it again.

How do I fix this????

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
What extension does the file attachment have?

Do you have a program associated with that extension that can open the file?

Crandin

New Email
It's an excel spreadsheet. I've never had a problem before. I have Windows XP and Microsoft Office. I recently changed my browser from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome (on advice from my service provider). Could that have something to do with it?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Open Windows Explorer.

Go to Tools and select Folder Options

Click the tab for File Types

What program is associated with XLS right now?

If it's unset or not excel try making it microsoft excel if you have it.

Another way to try and force a fix could be to install the Microsoft Excel Reader (small download) or the free office suite Open Office (big download).

Crandin

New Email
Open Windows Explorer.

Go to Tools and select Folder Options

Click the tab for File Types

What program is associated with XLS right now?

If it's unset or not excel try making it microsoft excel if you have it.

Another way to try and force a fix could be to install the Microsoft Excel Reader (small download) or the free office suite Open Office (big download).

I can't find Folder Options under Tools in IE. I don't use IE for internet browsing. I use Google Chrome. It does say IE is running without add ons. Don't know if that matters.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Windows Explorer (the thing you can use to view files, probably located in your accessories folder) not Internet Explorer the web browser. :)

Crandin

New Email
Windows Explorer (the thing you can use to view files, probably located in your accessories folder) not Internet Explorer the web browser. :)

Ooops - sorry! :eek: It's been a long week.

Anyway, the Excel Viewer suggestion worked! Thanks so much!!! :) :)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Not sure if that means upgraded or downgraded in your case but usually that means it's viewing as a different version of excel than the document was created in. For example maybe the excel was created as 2010 but you're reading as 2007 and possibly missing a feature or viewing in a slightly different page format.