Can't access Hotmail

Landmark

New Email
Hi, my Hotmail account was recently hacked so changed the password but now can't remember it correctly. Tried filling in Hotmail Password reset but can't remember enough info to satisfy Microsoft Support Team as this account was set up over 15yrs ago and don't use this account very often but obviously has info in folders going back years I need to access. Any help greatly appreciated!

THERESA

Customer Service
You can try the steps found at the following link to try to regain control of your account.

http://www.emailquestions.com/hotma...l-password-regain-control-hacked-account.html

Unfortunately, it is not easy to regain control after an account is hacked.
If you end up needing to make a new account, or you have other accounts already, NOW is the time to protect them from this happening to you again. Set up alternative (email and/or cell phone number verification safeguards) ways to access the email if there is a problem. After you have already been hacked it's a much bigger problem and harder to deal with and resolve. It is much easier to PREVENT it from happening in the first place. You will find more tips at the following link to help prevent your account from being hacked. (Just make sure you use lies that you will remember for the security questions!!)

http://www.emailquestions.com/email-discussions/6514-password-security-tip-use-fake-information.html

foggy

Valued Member
Unfortunately, it is not easy to regain control after an account is hacked.

Indeed ! That's why I would think that, despite the availability of free email services and fairly decent preventative security on the part of Gmail, if email is an absolute necessity in one's online life, then paying for it (for the benefit of personal customer service) should be seriously considered.

Some services offer relatively inexpensive accounts (as well as other more expensive premium levels with more features/storage): FastMail ($5/yr for an "ad-free" account with support via tickets and the EMD forum), PolarisMail ($12/yr), FastMail again ($15/yr — for a "family" account with one "lite" user account), EuMX.net ($16/yr — excellent reputation for uptime and customer support), Runbox ($20/yr for a "micro" account — I have this one).

Imagine — for what some people pay to eat out once or have a single pizza home-delivered, you can have a year's worth of peace of mind that prompt customer support (including, presumably, quick-and-painless account recovery) is just an email away ! :D

If you end up needing to make a new account, or you have other accounts already, NOW is the time to protect them from this happening to you again. Set up alternative (email and/or cell phone number verification safeguards) ways to access the email if there is a problem. After you have already been hacked it's a much bigger problem and harder to deal with and resolve. It is much easier to PREVENT it from happening in the first place.
Speaking of which, a post just today at Liveside.net says that Outlook is FINALLY going to be implementing two-factor authentication. Yeah, yeah... I know we've heard that before, but it does seem to be on the horizon. I mean, they at least have a screenshot of it already.

THERESA

Customer Service
I am not a huge fan of yahoo BUT if you follow ALL of the steps to keep your yahoo account from getting hacked, it shouldn't be a problem. Knock on wood, I have had the same yahoo account for 11 years. It isn't a primary but I check it often.

The steps to follow to keep your yahoo as secure as possible, can be found at the following link

http://www.emailquestions.com/yahoo-mail/6627-prevent-your-yahoo-mail-account-being-hacked.html

There is also the option of yahoo plus which will get you some customer service, which the free one won't.

Yahoo! Mail Plus