Cannot receive or send e mail

Trish60

New Email
I cannot receive or send e mails. I use incredimail as my main e mail client. I have windows 7 installed on my computer, and I update my computer on a regular bases. The error message is as follows. Socket Error: 10061, Port: 110, Protocol: POP. No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. I was able to receive e mails up until yesterday.

Trish60

New Email
No, although I do have yahoo mail accounts. I changed the settings in my incredimail, but am still getting an error message.

Failed to find host. Socket Error: 11004, Port: 995,Protocol: POP.The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.

Trish60

New Email
I have windows 7, and I use IE and Google web browsers on my computer. I do have yahoo mail, and att mail. I am able to access those e mail accounts. I started having problems with the incredimail last night.

Failed to find host. Socket Error: 11004, Port: 995,Protocol: POP.The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.

I received that message after I changed the settings as you suggested.

Nothing I do seems to be helping. Do you have any other suggestions?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Trish,

Which email service are you checking?

Incredimail is a mail program that can be used to check any email account that supports POP3 or IMAP.

The "failed to find host" error above indicates you have the wrong server name in your settings, or less likely, that your host is experiencing a DNS problem.

I need to know which email service you are trying to check to help find you the correct server setting.

Trish60

New Email
Now I'm getting this error message again.

Socket Error: 10061, Port: 110, Protocol: POP. No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
That's "better". Now you're to a point where you should have the hostname correct, but are experiencing connection problems related to the Yahoo Service Outage. If this still isn't working after everyone else seems to be saying that their Yahoo is working again, please let us know. In the meantime, please watch for more updates about the Yahoo service outage so you'll know when it's safe to check your mail again.

Trish60

New Email
Ok I'm confused, :) My yahoo mail has never stopped working. I have been able to access my yahoo account even after I received the error message for my Incredimail account.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Did you recently make a firewall or antivirus software update on your computer that might be blocking outbound port 110?

What incoming server name are you using right now?

Does it work if you switch it to port 995 and select the setting for SSL required?

Trish60

New Email
Is the 995 for incoming or outgoing? What is an incoming server name? My anti virus program updates all the time, but nothing that would cause my email to stop working.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The published incoming mail server setting for AT&T accounts powered by Yahoo is inbound.att.net (port 995, SSL required)

At this time that service is not responding:

> telnet inbound.att.net 995
Trying 98.138.13.170...

I believe you are impacted by the ongoing Yahoo Mail service issues.

I'll keep an eye on it, but for now, I think all you can do is wait until Yahoo fixes the problem on their end before IncrediMail will work.

In the meantime, the webmail appears to be working, if you go to http://www.att.net/

Are you able to check your email from the web site?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
It looks like POP3 for Verizon hosted by Yahoo is down too:

> telnet incoming.yahoo.verizon.net 110
Trying 98.138.227.39...

> telnet incoming.yahoo.verizon.net 995
Trying 98.138.227.39...

Neither port 110 or 995 is responding right now.