AOL mail auto complete problems for long-time aol users

Schlokkens

New Email
The past couple of weeks we are having new problems with aol mail. When composing a message, the address does not auto-populate as we begin to type the name. So we have to go into the contacts list to search for the names & email addresses. This has never happened before in all our years with aol.

Also, when reading mail, if we click on "keep as new" -- it usually goes to the old mail despite our clicking on "keep as new." This is also new and started happening about the same time as the other problem. Just seems to be a new format for aol mail and we don't have any idea why this is happening suddenly.

Any ideas as to how to fix these 2 problems?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

At the bottom of your screen there is a small text link called "standard version".

Click that, and you should notice that your write mail turns back into a compose button, and that your auto complete is working again.

A second issue that might be a problem is an address book that has over 4000 contacts in it won't be able to use the auto complete address feature.

Last edited:

Schlokkens

New Email
Wow, that was so simple and we are now back to the functionality that we used to have. Thanks so very much, Raymond! :thanks:

Shadowcat

New Email
I could not find any such link (Standard Version) on the AOL software screens. Is that only when using AOL via Internet Explorer/Webmail, or through the AOL software? Can you be more specific as to where I would find it?

Thanks.

Shadowcat

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Shadowcat,

The name of the text link near the bottom right of the webmail site changed :

AOL Webmail Basic Version.JPG

Click basic version. Now when starting a new email the address will be auto completed if it already exists in your contacts list.

Last edited:

Shadowcat

New Email
Thanks for the reply.

My client is not using AOL webmail. She is using the AOL software. Her Auto complete is working when she access AOL via Internet Explorer. It does not work when she launches the AOL software.

Thanx.

--Shadowcat--

Lg56

New Email
Thank you for having this site. I had been trying to figure out for 4 months how to fix this e-mail problem. Today I was again trying to solve the issue and found your site.

Fixed it with your instructions in just seconds.

THank you for being here with answers.

shasta

New Email
so, i am using the web version of AOL Mail on FF 6.02 currently though this has presisted through two upgrades. I mistyped an address and now everything i go to email this person the mistyped and the correct one appear. it's annoying mostly because i don't emmail this person often so i have to fiddle with things to figure out which is the right one. is there a way to clear the incorrect address without losing all the other in the autocomplete field? Assuming it can be cleaned, how would i do it? thanks, shasta

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Shasta,

Try going into your Firefox options. Within the privacy section there is an option to remember information you have typed into forms. Uncheck that option and save. If this was a recently created problem you may also be able to clear it by deleting your recent browsing history up to and slightly beyond when they problem started. For example if the auto complete issue started 5 days ago, clear the past weeks worth of history.

shasta

New Email
uhh will that clean out all of my saved info? is there a way to tell which is which? i only want to kill the one inaccurate address on aol mail. thanks:confused:

shasta

New Email
yeah i cleaned out all aol cookies and no dice. i turned off the form option against my better judgement and still no dice. i will try restarting firefox. after clearing the cookies again... did you know they put 6 cookies in just for webmail. i find that ridiculous. i've already cleaned them out twice but as soon as i open mail it puts them all back. ugh. any other ideas?:hammer:

shasta

New Email
uhhh okay this is embarrasing :eek:

the address was in my contacts. so once that was deleted 'poof' like magic problem solved though i still find the amount of cookies that aol uses for web mail to be excessive... it's not six it's 9! anyhow, thanks shasta :thanks: