AOL emails that are wrongly marked as spam

poimn

New Email
I am a member of a listserve, and every so often, emails sent to me from the list end up in my spambox. Before I open the email, its title, date, etc., are not in bold, thus indicating that I had read the emails and then reported them as spam. I am certain that this is being caused by an error. Any ideas?

THERESA

Customer Service
I am not familiar with AOL. Are other emails that are in your spam folder bold as if you have not read them?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Are you using a mail program or the AOL webmail to read your AOL Mail?

Make sure that there are no message rules or filters moving some of the email.

Try marking the incorrectly filtered emails as "not spam" or "not junk"

Do the emails from the listserv always come From: the same email address or the senders email address?

If it's the senders email address it's possible the spam filtering is confused because the sending policy for the senders domain name might specify that email from that domain is expected to be sent from other mail servers not the listserv server.

That's a somewhat common problem that also applies to email forwards.

poimn

New Email
I'm using the AOL software. Other emails in my spambox are in bold (the ones that I never opened).

I am not sure if the emails have come from the same address; I'll check that out.
:thanks:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Do the emails from the listserv always come From: the same email address or the senders email address?

If it's the senders email address it's possible the spam filtering is confused because the sending policy for the senders domain name might specify that email from that domain is expected to be sent from other mail servers not the listserv server.

That's a somewhat common problem that also applies to email forwards.

Yes this appears it might be part of the problem, here is the official AOL blog on the topic (DMARC changes):

AOL Mail updates DMARC policy to 'reject' - AOL Postmaster Blog

I was already heading this way above, AOL recommends the listserv send as the list addresses, and not use individual sender From: address to help avoid problems.

If you let your listserv owner know about the issues they should be able to update the list config and correct the problem.