Anyone remember Mr. Postman?

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
A few years back maybe more than a few there was a program called Mr. Postman basically what it did is act as a mail host between your computer and webmail companies like Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, Excite and a few others.

Essentially you would tell Mr. Postman your user name and password for your webmail accounts and you would set your client to use localhost as the server. You would be able to get your webmail in your favorite mail client without paying anything for an upgraded account.

Anywho, I Googled and found this page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mrpostman/ but it hasn't been updated since 2006. Is there anything similar out there today?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I see a program called YPOPS that works between a desktop client and Yahoo but also appears to need that you pay for the premium Yahoo mail.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Isn't any desktop problem new or old going to run into the same problem? For such a program to work it would need to be reading web pages through HTTP since pop is only available as a premium service by most providers now, right?

-Raymond

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Isn't any desktop problem new or old going to run into the same problem? For such a program to work it would need to be reading web pages through HTTP since pop is only available as a premium service by most providers now, right?

-Raymond

If I recall correct basically what Mr. Postman did was login to Yahoo mail and read the mails via HTTP and copied the mail locally into POP format. It was just a nice tool for convenience not having to login to Yahoo and all that junk. I remember it being pretty fast too even on an old Pentium 2.