Alias/Extra Address - disable login from secondary yahoo email address

foggy

Valued Member
Hi,

I know Yahoo allows free users to create one extra address (alias) and recently I tried to do this, but I did so thinking that I could use that alias as my primary Yahoo address (for Yahoo message boards, etc.) and then use the main address/username for logins only. That's the way I do things at FastMail (only using aliases for communication and keeping the secret username address for logins only). I figure if I alone know the password AND the username/address it makes things at least a little more secure (less likely to be hacked).

Well, to my surprise (and disappointment) after signing up for the extra address, Yahoo had a page saying proudly that now I get to sign in with this second address if I want to !! :eek: That's exactly what I don't want to do !! I want the alias/extra address to be invalid for logins so that I can keep my main Yahoo address/username private.

Is there any way to 'switch off' the permissions so that the extra address can't be used for logins ? (I couldn't find anything in Yahoo's Mail help, but maybe someone else has an idea.)

Thanks ! :)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I am not aware of a way to disable logins from secondary yahoo aliases.

That is an interesting idea for the use of that feature though.

I sent a note to Yahoo asking both for them to confirm the login via secondary aliases can't be disabled and that it be added to the feature request list.

I'll reply here with the response.

foggy

Valued Member
I am not aware of a way to disable logins from secondary yahoo aliases.

That is an interesting idea for the use of that feature though.

I sent a note to Yahoo asking both for them to confirm the login via secondary aliases can't be disabled and that it be added to the feature request list.

I'll reply here with the response.

Hi,

Thanks for the response !

FWIW, while you're waiting for an official reply from Yahoo, I went ahead and signed up for an extra address (which I have already deleted from my account there, so no need to worry about spammers seeing it here :D) and got the following screen after completing the form. Notice the second item.

Congratulations! You can now use scott8877766 @ yahoo.com exactly as you would your primary address, [removed].

Some things to remember:

* Email sent to or from this new address will appear in your mailbox with the rest of your mail. You can send from this new address by selecting it from the pull-down menu when you compose.
* You can also sign in to your Yahoo! Mail (or anywhere else on Yahoo!) using scott8877766 with your password.
* If you would like to set scott8877766 as your default "from" address, you may do so in Mail Accounts

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
A quick tip for using email questions. If you are worried about spammers getting an email address that is posted don't try to obfuscate it. The forums automatically turn any email addresses into images to help avoid bot scraping. That probably works better than the standard adding spaces, replacing @ with [at] or . with [dot] etc. For example : joe@example.com