Address book scanning

compleo

Valued Member
Many of the encrypted email services offer a "Secure Reply" feature that sends the user of unencrypted email services a notification with a link to follow to view the email back at the encrypted email providers web site. They recipient will usually need a pin or password to view the message. They're not really viewing an email at that point. It does limit what is transmitted unencrypted. The recipient might still put your email address in their address book, but none of the email contents will be in their accounts. Also, to piece back together "your address book" someone would need to access every email account at every email provider looking for signs of your email address.

It is interesting to me the weight that you are placing on securing "who" you are communicating with and not only the "what" is being communicated.

How do you tell someone your email address in the first place? Is that an encrypted and/or offline communication?

I think i understand why some might not understand where i'm coming from,i'm old fashioned.I don't do social network.such as FB.I don't communicate via e mail so i don't give people my e mail since there is no need for them to have it.I don't even want to talk on the phone.The way i see it i'll talk to them in person,& don't even care about that...lol.I only use e mail for certain reasons,such as receiving alerts from banks,web sites & submit resumes & respond via e mail if a company responds to the resume.

I have 4 e mail accounts & not 1 of them have any e mail addys in the address book,they are all empty since i don't communicate via e mail with people,old fashioned & i don't care about securing e mail.After reading all that is going on today with companies creating profiles of their members,scanning the members address book to extract e mail addys to sell for profit (data mining) & i don't know for sure but such acts might place one in a position of possible ID theft.

I feel there should be laws regarding how peoples privacy but there is beaucoup bucks involved & money makes the rules.I want to prevent anyone from scanning my e mail,even though there nothing in the address book or anything of any valve.This part some might have difficulty understanding,to me it's the principle.