A False Email?

TonyMac

New Email
A company claim they sent me an email on the 12th August 2013 but I never received it & neither did my server.
The company sent me a copy 2 months later with a date & time stamp for the 12th August.
They now say that their Dublin officec sent me the email but it was routed to their server in Switzerland & the MS Outlook account connection had failed & so it was not sent to me.
So, what about the date & time stamp? Are the company spoofintg me?
Could the server in Switzerland confirm that they did not send it to me for the reason given?
This is important to me & I would love to find the truth.
Any ideas?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

I'm not saying they did it, but it's easy for the for that company to create a fake email now that looks like it was sent back in August.

The only information you can trust will be data from servers that you trust.

Did your mail server see a connection from the IP address of the server in Switzerland on August 12th?

Do you trust the owner of the mail server in Switzerland? If so, you can ask them for related mail logs from that day.

Since they claim they sent an email, but also claim that they know it failed, either way they are claiming they know whatever email you expected was not sent and/or did not reach you?

:welcome: to Email Questions!

TonyMac

New Email
Hi,
My server saw no connection from the IP address of the server in Switzerland. Nothing at all showed.
The company were in legal difficulty by not doing anything & so they produced the missing email to demonstrate that in fact they had sent an email.
I cannot be sure that the server in Switzerland arte trustworthy as the company is a poweful Swiss entity. What to do is a dilemma.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Your lawyer could subpoena their mail logs direct from their backup service provider

Most large companies and ISP's have their backups stored off site with a 3rd party backup provider..

If the logs at the time didn't record activity that matches the email headers in the suspected fake email, you got 'em.

Good luck! :)

TonyMac

New Email
Hi,

Thank you very much.
Would there be any record in Ireland? The supposed email was sent from their Dublin office.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I don't like posting "I don't know", but a couple quick searches didn't find me a better answer.

I think that question can be best answered by your lawyer too.

Hopefully the more technical Q&A above was helpful.

TonyMac

New Email
Thank you for that. All of your replies are appreciated.
As there will apparently be no record in Ireland of the [supposed] Email having been sent I have run into a roadblock. I needed to show that they did not send that email but I clearly cannot now do that.
Thank you anyway.
Tony Mac.