550 -verification failed

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Hi, someone is trying to send me an email from his GoDaddy acct and he is getting a MAILER-DAEMON back with the following message, any idea what could cause this? I checked the IP that his email is coming from and it seems to be on a blacklist (AHBL), I check it on MXtoolbox

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at p3plwbeout12-02.prod.phx3.secureserver.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<myemail@myemail.com>:
71.246.249.163 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550-Verification failed for <hisemail@hisemail.com>
550-No Such User Here
550 Sender verify failed
Giving up on 71.246.249.163.

fearmydesign

Valued Member
When I look up his domain name on MxToolBox it gives me 2 different IP addresses for edenhartelectronics.com - why?

smtp.secureserver.net - 216.69.186.201
mailstone1.secureserver.net - 72.167.238.201

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

The two hosts are the MX records for the domain :

;; ANSWER SECTION:
edenhartelectronics.com. 1H IN MX 0 smtp.secureserver.net.
edenhartelectronics.com. 1H IN MX 10 mailstore1.secureserver.net.

The MX records are likely not the same servers that they use for sending email.

What IP address is relaying their email to your server?

What anti-spam checks are configured on your server? Are you checking for matching forward and reverse DNS records? Are you checking SPF records?

It makes it a little more difficult to troubleshot problems when some of the data is obfuscated. Double check and make sure there were not extra characters after your email address such as a trailing space character between your email and the >.

I suspect the problem is something along the lines of no reverse DNS or a DNS mismatch for the DNS associated with the senders outgoing IP address.

fearmydesign

Valued Member
What IP address is relaying their email to your server?

How can I find out the relaying information from them? not sure how to do this.

What anti-spam checks are configured on your server? Are you checking for matching forward and reverse DNS records? Are you checking SPF records?

I am new to WHM/cpanel do you know where I would go on my server to check these settings? if not, I will refer back to cpanel.

Thank you for your help

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
You should have a /var/log/maillog that you can check.

Do you also have ssh access to your server?

Use grep to find the lines from the same date/time as when their email failed.

Their domain should work too and be a bit easier. For example :

> grep edenhartelectronics.com /var/log/exim_mainlog

If the logs already rotated out it might be easier to watch them real time (tail -f) as they send you a test email.

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Hi Popowich, I'm coming back to this issue because now this person's emails are coming in (I'm receiving them), but when I reply it doesn't get to them and no errors are sent back to me...it's like my emails to them are just getting lost in cyber space... :-/ what could cause something like this to happen? It's weird...

I actually tried sending them an email from my other linux server and it went through fine and they actually got it... but why doesn't it work on my main server...? settings. configuration, seems all the same... can't put my finger on it...

Any suggestions as to what I can check? :-/
thank you

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
My first question will always be what do the logs say?

If you check the logs on the server that isn't working are any problems being logged?

Do they show their mail server accepting the email reply from your server?

Are you able to send out any email from that server?

Can you send a new email to them through that server?

Are the From: and Reply-To: settings in their email set correctly?

-Raymond

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Thanks Popowich, first I wanted to share this link with everyone, just in case you haven't ran into it. It makes viewing server logs very easy! Basically for those non-shell guys like me, you can use this plugin with your WHM via browser! www.logview.org

My first question will always be what do the logs say?

If you check the logs on the server that isn't working are any problems being logged?

I sent another email but no errors came up on the logs - I am looking at the exim maillog - I look at other logs but found no errors

Do they show their mail server accepting the email reply from your server?

I am not sure where or how I could check for this? can you help?

Are you able to send out any email from that server?
Yes, I can send emails normally to everyone else it seems, except to them or my other client under a godaddy acct.

Can you send a new email to them through that server?

nope, not even a new email will go through

Are the From: and Reply-To: settings in their email set correctly?

not sure what you mean by this, I use my email all day long so I am guessing all these settings are correct.

Thank you :thanks:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I sent another email but no errors came up on the logs - I am looking at the exim maillog - I look at other logs but found no errors.

I am not sure where or how I could check for this? can you help?

Those questions and answers go together. I'd expect to see something in your logs when you send them an email. A part of that log will be what happened to the email. Did it get rejected? Temp fail? Get relayed up to your ISP's smtp relay server? Get accepted by their mail server? Disappearing is odd. Was the contacts domain ever hosted on your server? Could the email have incorrectly delivered locally on your server?

Yes, I can send emails normally to everyone else it seems, except to them or my other client under a godaddy acct.

Ah! Are you having a problem sending email to anyone with email hosted by servers at Godaddy?

not sure what you mean by this, I use my email all day long so I am guessing all these settings are correct.

When you see new email working but you can not reply it's a sign they mistyped the Reply-To: setting in the mail program configuration on their computer. For example joe@example.com but they accidentally typed in jor@example.com. You'd be able to send new email to the correct addresses, but might not have noticed the mistake and be getting errors when you hit reply to one of their emails. This does not seem to be the problem since you mentioned a more generally sending to Godaddy above.

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Those questions and answers go together. I'd expect to see something in your logs when you send them an email. A part of that log will be what happened to the email. Did it get rejected? Temp fail? Get relayed up to your ISP's smtp relay server? Get accepted by their mail server? Disappearing is odd. Was the contacts domain ever hosted on your server? Could the email have incorrectly delivered locally on your server?

Thank you, first of all I may be looking in the wrong place then; I have to admit I have never looked at the logs before from my server. Like I mentioned, I am looking at the exim maillog (something like /var/log/maillog). Is this the right place to look first of all? ...actually as I was typing my friend gave me a new command tail -f /var/log/maillog let me try this one!

Ah! Are you having a problem sending email to anyone with email hosted by servers at Godaddy?

Yes, it appears as so... I know, I know... weird! I have two completely different clients, they both have godaddy emails and I can't seem to send email to them... again...weird!!

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Were you able to get this problem fixed?

I'm still willing to take a look if needed.

:thanks:-Raymond

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Hey Popowich, thanks for following up... but 'no' I have not gotten this resolved, and 'yes' I would love for you to have a look. I will send you a message to coordinate, thanks

:hammer: