0pen emails with one click?

tommytinkroom

New Email
Just got a new laptop and set up windows live mail no problem,apart from having to click twice to open an email.
I have windows live mail on my desktop and emails open with one click.
My question is how do i set the emails to open with one click,i've been through all the options and tools on windows live mail and i can't find anything.
I have everything else on my laptop set to one click opening.
Thanks in advance for any help.:confused:

foggy

Valued Member
Hi, tommy

Are you sure you are actually opening the emails with one click on your desktop rather than simply viewing them in the preview pane ? I had WLM at one time (as well as other desktop email clients) and I have never been able to get any of them to "open" mails with a single click. Webmail clients, yes. Offline clients, no. I think that's because offline clients (for whatever reason) reserve single-click functionality for merely selecting the message, not opening it -- unless, as I say, one is viewing email in the preview pane.

If you actually have been able to "open" emails with a single-click in the offline WLM client on your desktop, I, too, would like to know how you got it to do that ! Maybe Ray (Popowich) will have some ideas.

tommytinkroom

New Email
Hi, tommy

Are you sure you are actually opening the emails with one click on your desktop rather than simply viewing them in the preview pane ? I had WLM at one time (as well as other desktop email clients) and I have never been able to get any of them to "open" mails with a single click. Webmail clients, yes. Offline clients, no. I think that's because offline clients (for whatever reason) reserve single-click functionality for merely selecting the message, not opening it -- unless, as I say, one is viewing email in the preview pane.

If you actually have been able to "open" emails with a single-click in the offline WLM client on your desktop, I, too, would like to know how you got it to do that ! Maybe Ray (Popowich) will have some ideas.

Hi foggy,Thanks for your reply.Yeah can definitly open emails with one click on my desktop with wlm been like it for years.
I don't have any memory of setting it to one click it was just like it after i installed it.
Thing is i'm so used to clicking once on an email to open it when it comes in,that now having to click it twice is starting to annoy me.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

My first thought is that your old computer was configured with the one click option globally, not just within Windows Live Mail.

In Windows XP follow these directions to turn on single clicks:
  1. Click Start
  2. Select My Computer
  3. Go to the Tools menu and click Folder Options
  4. Go to the General tab and select "Single-click to open an item"
  5. Click OK
Did these directions help to solve your problem?

You may need to look up alternate directions for a different version of Windows but I hope this points you in the right direction.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

tommytinkroom

New Email
Hello,

My first thought is that your old computer was configured with the one click option globally, not just within Windows Live Mail.

In Windows XP follow these directions to turn on single clicks:
  1. Click Start
  2. Select My Computer
  3. Go to the Tools menu and click Folder Options
  4. Go to the General tab and select "Single-click to open an item"
  5. Click OK
Did these directions help to solve your problem?

You may need to look up alternate directions for a different version of Windows but I hope this points you in the right direction.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Hi popowich,My desktop is windows7 32bit and my laptop is windows7 64bit.
The first thing i do when setting up a pc or laptop is to set it to globel one click.This is whats confusing me,desktop wlm opens emails with one click and the laptop wlm opens emails with two clicks.
The only difference is my laptop is 64bit and my desktop is 32bit.:confused:

GeneT

Valued Member
If you are able to open an email with one click how then are you able to merely highlight an email or emails for other purposes like moving to another folder, print without opening, select a block of emails for deleting?