Windows Live Mail mess

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by bohlingball, May 13, 2010.

1. bohlingball

bohlingball New Email

recently decided on a whim to install windows live mail. OK...huge mistake. it immediately started to download messages from Yahoo e-mail server and evidently did not leave a copy. I stopped it but had already downloaded 2 months worth of e-mail. If I open again to do anything to program it immediately starts downloading more. If I delete program my e-mails that I downloaded go down drain. Can I restore e-mails to Yahoo server? Or at least see last 2 months email without opening Windows Live Mail? Help!!:confused:

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hello,

Sorry, but I'm not aware of any way to restore emails back to Yahoo that have been removed from the Yahoo mail servers.

If it's a business account you can try the support for it.

If it's a regular Yahoo account I'm sure you're out of luck.

-Raymond

3. bohlingball

bohlingball New Email

Thanks for reply on restoring e-mails. Still hoping for solution on viewing already downloaded e-mails on my computer. Opening Windows Live obviously is not the answer without it downloading even more e-mails from Yahoo server! Would appreciate any thoughts on this part of question. Thanks!

4. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Pull the network cable out of your computer and then open Windows Live Mail.

You'll be able to work with what's already downloaded in the program without it connecting to Yahoo.

You can then export a copy of the emails info a format readable by other email programs and unconfigure the Yahoo account without further risk to the emails still stored at Yahoo.

After the above is done it should be safe to plug the network cable back in.

-Raymond

5. bohlingball

bohlingball New Email

Thanks so much! Didn't think of that solution. Will give that a go. Thanks again!

6. Big Dan

Big Dan EQ Forum Moderator Staff Member

Also go into to the account options in WLM and check 'Leave Copy Of Message On The Server' this won't restore your mails but will prevent it from deleting emails in future if you happen to WLM.

7. bohlingball

bohlingball New Email

Thanks Big Dan. Can't believe that's not default setting.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.