Windows Live Mail 0x800cccoF

I have used Windows Live Mail for years with no problems. Over the last week or so I have received an error message - 0x800cccoF
I have been on a chat line to try and sort it out twice, with any resolution to my query .
It looks like I can send e-mails but not receive them. I have Yahoo mail via Sky.
It has been suggested to block my Anti Virus program - this makes no difference.
I have run the 'repair' program for windows live mail - again - no difference.
I have run a registry cleaner - still no difference.
When I go on Windows Live Mail, a box comes up saying that a list of e-mails is being received,
then a red cross appears and the error code appears. I am trying to correct this problem.
A contact at Microsoft suggested that I purchase Outlook for around £60. I don't want to do this of course,
I would like to get the error fixed

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Stan,

Sky email accounts hosted by Yahoo only support POP3 + SSL

--

For your incoming mail setting it appears you should be using:

Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.tools.sky.com (port 995, SSL required)

If your POP3 settings are set to port 110 or don't have the box for SSL checked it's not going to work.

The username should be your complete email address in username@sky.com format.

--

The outgoing mail server setting is:

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.tools.sky.com (port 465, SSL required, authentication required)

--

If you are not using the above settings please make the update and let us know if that fixes the problem.

If you are already using these settings it's correct that it does sound like something else might be interfering such as anti-virus / security software on your computer, or that's you're on a connect that has the needed ports blocked.

Sometimes hotel and other public internet connections have ports blocked that are needed for email to help prevent their connections from being used to send spam.

The following is troubleshooting info for me to reference showing port 110 down, and ports 995 for pop3 and 465 for smtp responding:

> telnet pop.tools.sky.com 110
Trying 68.142.231.21...
telnet: connect to address 68.142.231.21: Connection refused

> telnet pop.tools.sky.com 995
Trying 68.142.231.21...
Connected to pop.tools.sky.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

> telnet smtp.tools.sky.com 465
Trying 188.125.68.58...
Connected to smtp.tools.sky.com.

Hi Stan,

Sky email accounts hosted by Yahoo only support POP3 + SSL

--

For your incoming mail setting it appears you should be using:

Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.tools.sky.com (port 995, SSL required)

If your POP3 settings are set to port 110 or don't have the box for SSL checked it's not going to work.

The username should be your complete email address in username@sky.com format.

--

The outgoing mail server setting is:

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.tools.sky.com (port 465, SSL required, authentication required)

--

If you are not using the above settings please make the update and let us know if that fixes the problem.

If you are already using these settings it's correct that it does sound like something else might be interfering such as anti-virus / security software on your computer, or that's you're on a connect that has the needed ports blocked.

Sometimes hotel and other public internet connections have ports blocked that are needed for email to help prevent their connections from being used to send spam.

The following is troubleshooting info for me to reference showing port 110 down, and ports 995 for pop3 and 465 for smtp responding:

> telnet pop.tools.sky.com 110
Trying 68.142.231.21...
telnet: connect to address 68.142.231.21: Connection refused

> telnet pop.tools.sky.com 995
Trying 68.142.231.21...
Connected to pop.tools.sky.com.

> telnet smtp.tools.sky.com 465
Trying 188.125.68.58...
Connected to smtp.tools.sky.com.

Hi

The settings listed are exactly those which are on my set up - 995 incoming and 465 outgoing
If I click on the send/receive button many many times, then -after a long while
the mail does come through - once only then stops.
I have been advised to use Office Outlook which I already had but never used.
I have done it as I thought was ok but it will not send, and there is another
error report code Ox8OO42108

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Stan,

I agree it doesn't make sense for someone to recommend a different mail program that costs money to fix the problem.

Was that answer from Sky support or a 3rd party technical support service that charged you for a troubleshooting call?

Try increasing the mail server timeout settings. In the Advanced tab drag the server timeout from 1 to 5 minutes.

Windows Live Mail Server Timeout Settings.jpg

Sometimes mail programs, including Windows Live Mail and Microsoft Outlook, need longer settings such as 5 minutes while big mailboxes are being synced and/or virus scanned.

Hi Stan,

I agree it doesn't make sense for someone to recommend a different mail program that costs money to fix the problem.

Was that answer from Sky support or a 3rd party technical support service that charged you for a troubleshooting call?

Try increasing the mail server timeout settings. In the Advanced tab drag the server timeout from 1 to 5 minutes.

View attachment 1745

Sometimes mail programs, including Windows Live Mail and Microsoft Outlook, need longer settings such as 5 minutes while big mailboxes are being synced and/or virus scanned.

Hi

Thanks for your reply................it was Microsoft Support with an online mail/mail typed chat line.
No not Sky.
I keep tapping away but nothing is coming through on Windows Live Mail.
I will increase the timeout settings as you suggest.
However, since replying to you - I don't know what I have done but Outlook has started to download
loads of e-mails which were on the Sky system. I think I originally typed our e-mail address with a comma
instead of a full stop between 'sky.com' (silly sod me)
SO

If the time out settings do not solve the query, I can revert to Outlook and clear out the backlog of old e-mails.

Many thanks for your prompt assistance on this one

Regards
Stan

Hi
I am still having problems:

I can Receive e-mails in 'Office' but cannot send them
In Live Mail I can send but cannot receive them.

This is in Windows live mail

Unable to send or receive messages for the Sky (denstan) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.
Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secur Unable to send or receive messages for the Sky (denstan) account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR inactivity timeout
Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yese(SSL): Yes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The message on 'Office' reads:

Task 'denstan@sky.com'
sending reported error (ox8oocccoF)
The connection to the server was interrupted.
If this problem continues, contact your Server Administrator
or Internet Service Provider (ISP)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Which anti-virus do you use? Try turning that off for a couple minutes. Can you send/receive email OK then? Don't forget to turn it back on after the test!

It also also can't hurt to make sure your programs are up to date with FileHippo, run a spyware scan, and increase the mail server timeout settings................................................................

Did you recently change your password?

Double check both your incoming and outgoing mail server settings.

When editing the settings in Windows Live Mail, sometimes making a change to the incoming settings causes it to make a change (reset to port 25) in the outgoing settings.

Hi I use the Basic AVG setup. I have switched on and off...........and remembered to leave it switched on......Thanks for reminding me.
I will run the programs you suggest.
I have gone through the set up sequence and actually entered the identical information which was there and unticked the tick boxes and ticked them again.
I have entered exactly the same information which was already there.
I have increased the timeout settings to 5mins.
I did all this on Saturday evening and on Sunday when I opened up the Mail ..............hey presto they all came tumbling into the 'inbox'
( and they have done so each time I have gone in since then)
SO
Hopefully my query has been sorted and my frustration has calmed down - so I will not be throwing my Lap Top into the canal!

Many Thanks for your replies

Regards
Stan

Mick From Cov

New Email
I have used Windows Live Mail for years with no problems. Over the last week or so I have received an error message - 0x800cccoF
I have been on a chat line to try and sort it out twice, with any resolution to my query .
It looks like I can send e-mails but not receive them. I have Yahoo mail via Sky.
It has been suggested to block my Anti Virus program - this makes no difference.
I have run the 'repair' program for windows live mail - again - no difference.
I have run a registry cleaner - still no difference.
When I go on Windows Live Mail, a box comes up saying that a list of e-mails is being received,
then a red cross appears and the error code appears. I am trying to correct this problem.
A contact at Microsoft suggested that I purchase Outlook for around £60. I don't want to do this of course,
I would like to get the error fixed

THIS SIMPLE SOLUTION TO ERROR '0x800CCC0F' REALLY WORKS.

I was having the same problem. I've used WLM for years without any problems and then in the last month I found that I could send from WLM, but could not always receive, I generally got the error message : 'Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F' .
The solution was so simple.

1) Go to Yahoo.com mail
2) Hover the curser over the inbox, (mine had 18000 e-mails in it)
3) Right click the inbox
4) 'Archive all e-mails'
(it moves them to the 'archive' folder just below your 'sent' folder. It appears to archive the e-mails in batches of 5,000 so I had to perform this 4 times).

The Results :

1) No more error message 'Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F'
2) It searches for new e-mails in a nano second.
3) CPU usage appears to have fallen also.

God knows why this works so completely, but it did for me and I hope it does for you also. So no need for any complicated solutions. Obviously a choked 'inbox' consumes resources and once you consume resources, all kinds of obscure problems can occur.

Cheers,

Mick