Why can't I make Yahoo my default mail?

Discussion in 'Yahoo Mail' started by lucky, Apr 15, 2012.

1. lucky

lucky Valued Member

I have recently got one new laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 bit and did a clean install of windows 7 home premium 64 bit on my older desktop. Both are using IE 9 for browsers.
    Somehow on the laptop I download Yahoo messenger with yahoo tool bar.
    With the laptop yahoo mail must be my default mail because if I click on a web page email link it will open my email. Yahoo mail adviser and yahoo mail are installed if I go into unistall programs in the control panel but don't show up under All Programs. I don't care because it works.
    The desktop is another story.I downloaded Messenger and have the tool bar but cannot open a email link like the laptop. I cannot down load just the tool bar and check make yahoo my default because it says it is not compatible and to check if I have 32 or 64 bit operating system. Through Yahoo I tried both the 32 and 64 bit tool bar and neither will download. Both give the same compatibility message.
    I took my computers to my local Technician and after 3 hrs he could not make it work either.
    If Yahoo mail is the default on the laptop why can't I make it work on the desktop? I hope someone has the answer?

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

3. lucky

lucky Valued Member

4. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

5. lucky

lucky Valued Member

Yes I down loaded it and still the same after resarting.
    If I click on an email link I get the message:

Could not perform this operation beause the default mail client is not properly installed.

This is the same as before I installed the IE 9 link you supplied.:innocent:

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.