Verizon Wireless shutting down SMTP Relay Service

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
SMTP Shutdown

After a careful analysis of email messaging, Verizon Wireless has decided to no longer keep and maintain the SMTP Mail Relay Service. We have included some frequently asked questions and their answers below to assist you in your transition.

What is this service?

SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and SMTP servers are used for the purposes of sending email messages from an email client to a destination mailbox over the Internet. The Verizon Wireless SMTP Mail Relay Service is a service provided at no charge to Verizon Wireless customers, enabling them to send non-commercial email in cases where their email provider prevents them from sending email when connected to another Internet Service Provider, such as Verizon Wireless.

When will the service be shut down?

Verizon Wireless has scheduled the SMTP Mail Relay Service to be shut down during the day of Saturday, August 29th, 2009.

Why is Verizon Wireless shutting down this service?

As part of our commitment to ensure that our customers are provided with the best possible user experience, Verizon Wireless manages a wide variety of services offered to customers. Verizon Wireless considered this service, along with the needs of our customers, and decided that there are better alternatives for our customers than the SMTP Mail Relay Service.

What do I need to do?

Many email providers now allow their customers to authenticate using their existing email client and user credentials to connect and send email messages when connecting from a non-local IP address. Check here for a sample list of email providers that may allow this. Contact your email provider for assistance with configuring your email client to send email using their SMTP server.

My email provider does not support SMTP access from non-local IP addresses.

If your email provider does not permit you to use its SMTP mail server, other solutions include browser-based email access; check with your email provider for availability.

How can I send and receive email from my mobile device?

Nearly all Verizon Wireless devices support access to popular email services from their Internet browsers. Additionally, your mobile device may support our Mobile Email application or our Email & Web for Smartphone service. Contact your Verizon Wireless sales representative for information on either of these services.

I was using the SMTP Mail Relay Service for my business, what should I do?

If you were using the SMTP Mail Relay Service for your business or other commercial use, please contact your company’s email system administrator for assistance with setting up an appropriate alternative solution. Business-grade solutions may include subscribing to a commercial-grade SMTP Mail Relay service, using a VPN to connect with your company’s email server, the use of browser-based access to your business email or enterprise-grade email mobility solutions already available to your business.

Where can I go to learn more?

You can learn more about SMTP by performing a search in your preferred Internet search engine.