Thunderbird - Migration of archives to a new IMAP instance

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by mcr1980m, Jan 24, 2011.

1. mcr1980m

mcr1980m New Email

Hello,

I have been using Thunderbird for years to support POP3 mail and have a large archive.

I would like to upgrade (or rather recreate) my account as an IMAP account since my provider supports this protocol and it has obvious benefits.

I do not want to lose the massive archive of emails I have and I want to be able to go back into the archives easily and at any time.

Is there a clever way to perform this upgrade / migration?

I think that I could trash my profile as it stands and recreate as an IMAP account but I would then presumably lose my archive ... or would I

Confused,

UK.

2. Big Dan

Big Dan EQ Forum Moderator Staff Member

I'd make a secondary account the IMAP account and connect to it with Thunderbird. From there drag and drop a couple of messages into the IMAP folder and see if the copy over. I suspect they will but never really tried. If it works and you can see the messages on the IMAP server. Cancel the POP account and create a new one with IMAP. Drag and drop everything over into the new IMAP account.

Depending on how large your archive is it may take you a few days/weeks to copy everything over as it's governed by your upload speed.

Just to be safe back up your entire Thunderbird profile before you do anything.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.