So confused right now, can't send through VPS now what?

Billy Batts

New Email
Hi,

To keep the costs as low as possible at the start I host my own websites on a VPS.

Got Plesk installed, inside Plesk created a email address for each domain because yeah, in my mind it works like gmail or something, create and email, add it to thunderbird and that will be it.

Wrong! :(

To start with the host had PTR disabled.. So after some arguments as I refer them all the time they allowed it but they said it only works for one IP so only one domain works with email.. Found this answers already strange but I can't say if that is the case or not.

All my other emails from the other domains don't work and I got no clue what to do now? It is stressing me the past couple days because it delays my projects because of course I need to be able to receive email through a contact page and able to reply.

Googled SMTP server but that only adds to the confusion, someone told me to go register Amazon SES, horrible interface! A million options, tabs, links, it's too confusing and even if it weren't I got no clue as what to do to make my mails work.

It kinda sucks I have to do everything alone and I know how to build a computer, design logo's pages etc, marketing but server related stuff I have no knowledge off and is learning as I go.

After googling found this forum and saw a admin helping someone out all the way so hoping to find the right people here.

Cheers.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Billy,

Do you like the VPS hosting and their tech support? Also, the last I knew, plesk was fairly expensive almost $1000/year, has that changed much?

I'm happy to work with you and help get through the troubles. That could mean fixing in place, or using the AWS account for your web hosting and moving the email hosting to provider that specializes in email. If you wanted the plesk in AWS I could help you get it working with SES for the outgoing email since sending directly from an EC2 isn't likely to work well since those ranges are generally on several blacklists.

To start with the host had PTR disabled.. So after some arguments as I refer them all the time they allowed it but they said it only works for one IP so only one domain works with email.. Found this answers already strange but I can't say if that is the case or not.

You can send and receive email for lots of domains on the same IP addresses if you want to. There isn't a related PTR limitation. As long as the PTR reflects something static, such as mail.your-primary-domain.com, you should be all set as far as the PTR goes. You don't need an additional PTR for each domain you're hosting.