Server tutorials

Discussion in 'Mail Server Support' started by youngblood101, Nov 6, 2012.

1. youngblood101

youngblood101 New Email

Hi there,

First of all apologies if this or something similar has been posted already but I'm new here and new to forums in general. Essentially I am wondering if anyone can help me find some good sites or tutorials for someone who like to learn how to use and subsequently manipulate email servers. Perhaps a brief background is in order, I am currently an intern with some knowledge of I.T. I understand the theory behind SMTP I just have no idea how to use it which is what I'm hoping to learn along with how to configure and use cron jobs so that I can use CiviCRM with Comcast. You may be wondering why I don't just hire someone to do this for me? Well I work for a not for profit so that really isn't an option. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for time and help.

2. popowich

popowich EQ Forum Admin Staff Member

Hi youngblood,

The first step is determining your list of requirements.

What features does the server need?

Accept email? Relay email through Comcast or direct to internet?

Any anti-spam? Any anti-virus? any reputation services?

Will it host any email accounts? pop? imap? http? mailbox sizes and other features?

A great guide if you need a relatively simple and secure mail server install is Lifewithqmail.org

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up (and it's free!). Click the orange sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.