Reply and Forward email received from a particular domain doen't work

AMP

New Email
My Reply and Forward email received from a particular domain doesn't function (using mail.btinternet.com).

No error is reported.
Recipients, whether at that domain or others get nothing.
Same problem for all recipients on the domain in question.
Send to the domain in question works absolutely fine.
Email seems to be working fine for all other domains.
Same problem(s) on Outlook and Thunderbird. (I routinely use Thunderbird)

I can Reply and Forward emails from the domain in question if I use a different SMTP service.

Any ideas about where to look for solutions would be gratefully received but please don't suggest I contact either BT or the people at the domain in question.

I have no significant technical know-how so if diagnosis requires it, I will just have to walk away from the problem.

Thanks for reading this

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Which domain name is your email address in?

Is it @btinternet.com, a personal domain name, or a different email address?

Do your new emails and forwards send From: the same email address?

Have you had a bad experience with BT technical support?

Can you copy yourself on a forwarded email and post the full email headers to help you find what could be the problem?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Also, have the recipient check their Spam, Trash, and search any folders.

Sometimes missing emails are marked as spam or filtered to a folder.

AMP

New Email
Thanks for picking this up

The domain name on which I receive emails is m3marketaccess.com

btinternet.com is a personal service that came with my ISP (not connected with the POP service in question here) ... and I use the smtp service mail.btinternet.com as my default outgoing smtp service

default 'from' and 'replyto' is me ...@m3marketaccess.com but this uses the mail.btinternet (as indicated above)

Send emails go via the same regime (and work fine)

Bad experience with BT support ... not entirely satisfactory ... they told me that 'it might be something to do with recipient spam settings or the sender's underlying address set-up'. Recipient spam settings seems unlikely to me as I can Send just fine and I haven't the first idea what is meant by ... underlying address set-up.

Test 'Reply' copying myself ... Ah ... should have mentioned that explicitely. Any attempt to Reply or Forward mail received from this domain not only doesn't get to the originator but it doesn't get to any other recipient ... so no, I can't give you the full headers.

Just to re-emphasise, I don't have any such problems with email received from other domains ... and was able to reply / forward perfectly happily with the domain in question also until a short while ago.

AMP

New Email
I'll do that again and update if we find the problem here ... but it was the first thing I thought of and asked about.

AMP

New Email
As if by magic, and after a good few weeks of failing as described, it now all works perfectly again. Don't you just love I.T.

Thank you for previous replies and sorry for wasting your time.