Qmail|On Godaddy VPS

milhan123

Valued Member
Hi,im having difficulties trying to figure out why some mail office mails are not going to some email address, i spoke to godaddy and they told that that i need to change the relay service on my server so that it will not get blocked or rejected from other email client/servers.I dont get a delivery report even if the mail hasn't got rejected from the server.And godaddy admitted that the default relay service im using gets blocked as SPAM.

I didnt some research and found that if you have to change your relay you have to medle with my /var/qmail/control/smtproutes

This is what the files shows me :dedrelay.secureserver.net

what should i edit in this and how to do i do it, since i got a VPS should i purchase extra relays?

BTW its linux server,and it has a cisco firewall installed in it.
Please help..

Thanks for you time :mad:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I think that was a semi-broken answer from Godaddy.

Did Godaddy cover any of the basics such as custom PTR record for your mail server and allowing you to relay direct to the internet?

What is the public IP address for your mail server?

To answer the original question, yes, you can use the /var/qmail/control/smtproutes to force outgoing email To: some or all domains to relay through a different server, but you're not there yet.

If you relay an abuse problem to a different service you're going to cause them to get blocked too.

Right now you're having a problem because you're using shared smtp relays.

Yes, there are 3rd party alternatives for your business such as Gmail as $4/user or LuxSci SMTP starting at $10/month.

Do you have any other services hosted with Godaddy?

I think the best approach to this problem is to try removing the smtproute to dedrelay.secureserver.net and try relaying direct to the internet before considering involving a 3rd party service.

milhan123

Valued Member
Hi Popowhich,

Thanks for your response.

Our company just uses cooperate mails,not newsletters/spam. just about tops 150 or even lesser mails a day.average of 50 mails a day

we have around eight sites hosted withing our server.

I'm sure we don't abuse the service to get blocked.

Our ip 97.74.195.XXX

this issue of not reaching the party is only for some specific mail address,others works fine.

Goddaddy help page was not helpful
Link

1.How do i not use daddy share smtp relay?
2.how am i to remove the dedrelay.secureserver.net and direct it to the internet ?
3.whats smarthost ?

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
1. To not use the Godaddy relay delete it from this file - /var/qmail/control/smtproutes

2. This is the same as #1. Remove the reference to :dedrelay.secureserver.net from the smtproutes file above.

3. A smarthost is a server that you are configured to relay all outbound email though. In this case, your dedicated server is smarthosting through dedrelay.secureserver.net

Please do not conceal your IP address.

I can not help check it's reputation, blacklistings, or other problems such as custom PTR's if I do not know the exact IP address.

After updating your smtproutes file please monitor your outgoing email logs (qmail-send/current) to make sure mail is sending OK and that none of your web sites are compromised and being used to spam.

milhan123

Valued Member
So if i delete the godaddy relay then the files is going to be empty yah ?

so wouldnt this result in none of the mails been sent out?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
If you delete the smtproutes file email will follow the MX records instead of being forced through the Godaddy server.

milhan123

Valued Member
I deleted the smtproutes file,and i restarted qmail and then tried sending mail to my gmail,yahoo and icloud but the mail didn't get it my gmail/yahoo/inbox
So it put the smtproutes files/restarted back and sent another mail to my email addys and then the queued mail which did not get delivered also came to my inbox.

Question
1..I didn't get a postmaster delivery report either and i wanted to know why is that.
2.And also whats if i keep the file as it is and remove the content inisde the file :)dedrelay.secureserver.net) line
3.Could this be because i have not added the SSL certificate to my site.

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
You do not need to restart qmail after making changes to or adding or removing the qmail smtproutes file.

What do your qmail logs say happened to the email?

What is your IP address?

Having or not having an SSL certificate configured for your web site won't affect your ability to relay outgoing email.

If you did not get a bounce message it might be because the email is still in the queue and can't get out.

Is Godaddy requiring that you smarthost through them?

Are they blocking outbound port 25 access from your server?

milhan123

Valued Member
Ho Popowich,

My IP is not blacklisted as godaddy said that godaddy relay server IPs from the pool which are black listed.can share those if needed.

and i checked the mail queue. and its just has 2 mails in queue, doesn't have mail im concerned about in it.

Godaddy didnt tell anything about smarthost ,how would that help ?

Im not sure if im blocking outbound port 25 from the server how do i check this?

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
My IP is not blacklisted

There is more to sending email than checking blacklists.

Without your IP address you are limiting the quality of the answers I can give you.

Troubleshooting internet issues such as DNS and email problems requires exact information.

Also, if you think concealing your IP address is protecting your security, that's misguided.

Your server is on the internet.

If it ever has a security problem it will most likely be found by automated tools that scan for exploitable problems.

as godaddy said that godaddy relay server IPs from the pool which are black listed.

Yes, that's true, but knowing the Godaddy outgoing ranges are blacklisted doesn't help answer if you will be able to reliably relay direct to the internet.

and i checked the mail queue. and its just has 2 mails in queue, doesn't have mail im concerned about in it.

That's hopefully a good sign.

Godaddy didnt tell anything about smarthost ,how would that help ?

We don't know if this is needed yet.

You are/were smarting through Godaddy.

Do you still have Godaddy listed in your smtproutes file?

Im not sure if im blocking outbound port 25 from the server how do i check this?

Run this command on your server. Do you get back a 220 response from Google?

> telnet gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. 25

Trying 173.194.68.26...
Connected to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP e60si1850638qgf.32 - gsmtp

milhan123

Valued Member
Running the telnet didn't go we'll

I didn't get the response 220.Why is this caused ?

I got connection timed out and network unreachable errors.

Why was this caused?

Yes i still have :)dedrelay.secureserver.net) in smtproutes file.

how do i reliably relay direct to the internet?

Thanks

milhan123

Valued Member
We'll godaddy doesn't allow direct relaying to the internet :(

Isnt there another solution other than switching service ?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
If Godaddy doesn't allow relaying direct to the internet, and the blacklisting of their shared relays is causing you problems, I don't think you have much choice than to consider a different hosting solution.

Both Blue Host and LuxSci are popular choices.

Please let us know if you decide to go with one of those solutions and if you need any help with migrating your services.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
You don't have to smarthost out on port 25.

If you can find a smarthost that supports port 587 maybe that will work from your Godaddy server.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
how to find a smarthost port 587 ?

There are plenty of them, including the hosting mentioned above.

The problem is you'd need to update your qmail to support authentication in your qmail-remote

how would smarthost help buddy?

The original problem is that you can't relay reliably from your Godaddy hosting.

Godaddy is blacklisted and will not allow you to relay direct to the internet.

You seem hesitant to consider changing hosting providers.

That leaves you with finding a service that will let you relay through them on a port other than 25 that isn't blocked outbound by Godaddy.

LuxSci supports port 587. Blue Host supports port 26.

milhan123

Valued Member
We'll im not familiar with smarthost 587.Yes its hard since some application are running it and had to get through a lot of whitelisting/firewall procedures for the webapps.

so there is no option other than switching ?