Pros and cons of inbox by gmail

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Have you tried Inbox by Gmail yet? If not, reply here to get invited to inbox by Gmail.

A pro of inbox by Gmail is that you can view attachments without having to open an email.

What else do you like and dislike about Inbox?

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
I got accepted a couple months ago. Tried it out and dumped it rather quickly. Probably to quick I didn't really give it a chance.

So far these are my thoughts.

Pros:
  • Pinned items are cool -- pretty much how stars work in regular Gmail though.
  • Reminders seem cool. I'm unsure if these carry over to Android. They probably do. I love the Google Now reminders this feels like an extension of that. I'd really like the abilty to set location based reminders. For instance whenever I'm in a store remind me to pick up X.
  • Clean interface with lots of white space (also a con)
Cons:
  • There's possibly to much automatic sorting happening without me knowing what's really going with my email . The Gmail tabs work well for me but it's trivial to click through 5 tabs and see everything. My biggest fear is Inbox burying an email from a client as "low priority" and me skipping over it.
  • No themes. These will probably come in time but I love Gmail's themes. It's better than looking at all that white space on in your browser.
  • Why is the bundle/folder list collapsed all the time? Especially when I'm running at 1920x1080? I shouldn't have to click twice to change folders/bundles.
  • Where did "Tasks" go? I use that for my to-do and shopping lists all the time.
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, Google usually does some pretty great stuff when they release a product like this. I may have give Inbox a week long trial using it exclusively and see what I think after that.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Con - I don't see a way to create an email signature.
Con - I want more functionality from the reminders, such as other types of reminders, and the ability to put content in the email reminders to myself

Without the ability to add content to the reminders I need to keep using the Gmail Calender to make my reminders

Pro - The interface, it's FAST!

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Con - I don't see a way to create an email signature.
Con - I want more functionality from the reminders, such as other types of reminders, and the ability to put content in the email reminders to myself

Without the ability to add content to the reminders I need to keep using the Gmail Calender to make my reminders

Pro - The interface, it's FAST!
+1 I love Google Calendar and the SMS + Email reminders. I schedule everything with it even reminders to clean my windows, lol.