Newb with questions about smtp management

movingtargets

New Email
Hey everyone...

After days of Google searching and scouring the web for information I am still no further than when I started. I stumbled across this forum and some of you look like you really know what you're talking about. So.... here's my question (please pardon me if it sounds stupid, I am a newb to the back-end of email):

I work for a small email marketing company. Right now we use a company that manages our entire email system including the portal where we create and send offers for our clients (about 800 small businesses). We are looking to switch to a more robust platform like http://www.interspire.com/emailmarketer
We are currently Sender Score certified and all of our people are double opted in. Since we send about 500,000 emails for our clients per month I was told that we'd need to host the portal on a dedicated server which is no problem (anywhere from $20-80/mo) but then I was also told we’d have to use a service like smtp.com who manages our reputation(?) Okay, no problem right? But it’s $900/mo which I can’t seem to even comprehend. I understand ‘warming’ up a new IP when we make the switch until the powers-that-be realize we are sending completely legitimate and opt-in mail, but I can’t understand why we’d need someone to manage our SMTP reputation. The way I am thinking about this is that we host the platform and send our email broadcasts, these broadcasts are directed to SMTP.com, then they deliver the mail because their reputation is so good(?) I can’t even seem to find any alternatives to smtp.com, so I am not sure who to even ask if this is something necessary for us. Can someone please help explain this to me or direct me to an expert? If it comes down to it I am willing to pay for your time as a consultant to help me navigate through these questions.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Steve

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Steve,

Double checking I'm reading this right. You have mailing lists / newsletters, but currently do not maintain your own email servers, and it's a 3rd party you're using to send the email?

Is there any problem that you are trying to solve or are you trying to make sure that a work services continues to be a working service?

If you are not experiencing any issues why make a service change at all? Just curious, who are you using now that you are not having a problem with?

There is a lot that goes into the reputation of your email. Some starter tips can be found here - http://www.emailquestions.com/email-articles/2437-top-10-email-marketing-tips.html. Beyond those tips todays experts are beginning to say that it also matters how often your subscribers are clicking the links or taking some other action based on your email besides deleting it.

What list of services are some of the companies claiming to provide that you are looking to have "manage your email reputation"?

My general advice is that if you are not comfortable running your own mail servers, using one of the services within the link above such as Mail Chimp or Contact Contact sounds like they would be a better and cheaper alternative. $900/mo for the amount of email that you are sending is too much, check out some more services and get some more quotes.

:welcome: to Email Questions!