New Verizon FiOS Email Account Outgoing SMTP Server Settings

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Dear Verizon Online Customer,

As Verizon enters 2010, we continue our efforts to enhance the online experience as well as ensure security for our Internet customers. To combat spam, Verizon Online is modifying its email configuration settings for outgoing emails. Therefore, you may also have to modify settings in your email account configuration no later than May 11, 2010 to ensure your ongoing ability to send outgoing emails. Please review the following for any impacts to your email account:

Web-based Email Users
  • If you use a web browser to send either Verizon or non-Verizon email, there is no need to make any changes to your settings.
Email Program Users (Outlook®, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, etc)
  • If you use a non-Verizon account such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL to send your emails through a program like Outlook®, Thunderbird or MacMail, you will need to make a simple change to your 'Server Port Number' setting in your email account - change the 'Server Port 25' setting to 'Server Port 587' setting.
Visit www.verizon.net/port25 for the quick and easy instructions on how to modify this setting. Thanks for being a valued Verizon Online customer and we encourage you to act now to ensure your email account is updated prior to May 11, 2010.

For quick solutions to common FiOS Internet questions, check out Verizon's In-Home Agent, a fast and easy 24/7 support tool, accessible at the click of your mouse. Download today at www.verizon.com/inhomeagent

Last edited:

r101

New Email
Verizon uses their dominant position to do whatever they want. Was just on the phone for 1/2 hour with one of their "techs" in asia, that had no clue of what i was talking about. Kept telling me they don't block any port.... and i kept calling him a stupid as**ole because port 25 was in fact blocked. His answer kept going to outgoing.verizon.net and yahoo, and i kept telling him i was trying to use corporate email and just wanted to know the port number that is not blocked. I am considering canceling FIOS. It's overpriced, support in india with kids that have no clue of what they are talking about, with internet with ports blocked as they wish. If it is not on the script, they don't have a brain to think!!!! Everyone else uses port 485, they use 587. The problem is that it took me 1/2 to find out. And they talk about ATT 3G network being bad. Their network maybe better, but it comes with strings attached. I heard that to send email from europe to a verizon.net account a form has to be filled before. Verizon is useless incompetent "techs" for using a high price service. I'm quitting.